Rubble in loft, trying to lay boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
I've paid very little attention to my loft space since buying the house last year, but I'm looking to put some boards up there for storage. I stuck my head up there yesterday and was surprised to notice that there is a lot of debris sitting on top of the insulation. I can't quite work out where it's come from.

The house is old (built 1904) and I don't know what work has been done on the roof or when. I can see some small remnants of what looks like a lath and plaster ceiling, which has since been replaced with plasterboard. In between the joists (and raising to a few inches above them) is yellow fibreglass insulation, and it's on top of this that the debris sits. It looks a bit like broken up plaster, but I can't tell for sure. The underside of the roof itself is covered with felt and there's no damp or any obvious signs of damage.

Can anybody shed any light on what this might be? Obviously, it looks like I'm just going to have to do the dirty job of getting rid of it all but knowing where it's come from would be helpful.

Also, any general tips on roof boarding in an old house would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I don't know about it having been replaced the roof has certainly been there for some time.

I figured it would be from the underside of the roof, but would it be some old form of insulation that has been replaced?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
No it should be safe to handle, but I would always recommend wearing gloves and a dust mask when working in the loft environment.

Its called "Parging" and was a type of lime mortar which was stuck against the slates by pushing it against the battens. Due to age of the roof and wind etc it usually falls into the loft. It isn't harmful in any way.
In the photo it looks like you have newish felt which would fit in with having a new roof at some time and this has fallen into the loft.

Thanks for the replies, I figured it might have been something like that.

Looks like I'm just going to have to get the dust mask and goggles out and clear it all up.

Cheers everyone

They call it "torching" where I come from.

A modern felted roof, or one with breathable membrane, doesn't need it. IIRC it was supposed to prevent wind, and industrial pollution particles, blowing in between the tiles. Lofts in old cities often have bucketfuls of heavy black dust, probably from coal fires.

You can use a wet-and-dry vac, but it is too heavy to carry downstairs in binbags. you need rubble sacks, and not too full.

If your insulation is very dirty, or thin, consider replacing it with modern mineral wood treated with Ecose (it is made by Knauf but also sold as own-brands). It is brown and does not shed irritant dust and fibres. I find old yellow fibreglass very troubling and would never use it again.

Good to know it's not a problem then. I'm in an old urban area and when the house was built the air must have been thick with industrial smoke so it makes sense.

Been there, done that.
Carp job.

Get lots of rubble bags, masks, gloves, bottled water & an old hand towel coz your going to get dirty, sweaty & thirsty up there. :)

If possible arrange some forced ventilation to suck air and dust out of the loft. A length of flexible 4 inch ducting down through the hatch and out of a window with a cheap extractor fan will help to keep the loft cooler with replacement air coming up through the hatch. it also reduces the amount of dust that will drop down through the hatch. If you are very brave you can cover the hatch to preven dust falling through but them you must have the extractor running.

Also ensure adequate lighting and have a torch just in case you disturb any wiring in the loft which causes the electrics to trip off.

Have someone else in the house to keep checking you are OK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back