Rules regs and quals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I say want to change a plug on a gas appliance in a restaurant, is there a qualification I can do to cover it, without a 4 year apprenticeship? I assume Part P doesn't cover it. PAT testing course any good?

I've seen service engineers have to leave plugs off things after they've done their mending, because they aren't qualified :rolleyes: .

I can do the gas stuff, up into the Megawatts.

Sponsored Links
Of course you can change a plug on an appliance but you take on the responsibility of having done the work. that is normal public liability stuff.

Part p only applies to domestic properties
PAT course does tell you how to change a plug and how to test the appliance.

but i rather suspect, from your post, that you might want to be doing things that are a bit more involved than just a plug change?

Not much, really. Changing controls like thermostats , or an immersion heater, or some electrical component like a fan. Things I'd be happy to do in a domestic environment on boilers etc.

A lot of commercial catering appliances are considered movable, so are plugged in. I imagine (might be wrong) that a PAT test on those might be considered a reasonable test for me to carry out to declare the thing safe.

No easy check like that on bigger equipment though. I was wondering if there's a qualification for the purpose.

The biggy is you must be "competent to prevent danger or injury" or be under supervision by someone who is (EAWR). It is all about how you can prove you are competent.
If you have attended and passed a recognised PAT testing course you should be able to operate a PAT tester, maybe replace plugs or the likes. Don't know such a course will go so far as into appliance repairs though.

Sponsored Links
No it doesnt.
PAT test course shows you how to examine plugs and leads for faults & damage. It shows you how to test earth bond & insulation resistance but not repairs to appliances.

I've found I can do a 3 day course at a fancy applliance maker's on servicing their kit. SLightly different fees to gas, £150 total!! That ought to cover a fair bit of the competence angle.

From a practical point, I imagine to test the isolation, and earth continuity in a big steam oven , say, I'd need most of a part P kit? About time I got it I suppose, it isn't really expensive.

£600 for my megger multi function tester to use about 6 times a year, I call that bl**dy expensive chris :rolleyes:

turns out that new central heating control wiring installations are notifiable.. ( Part P document, General Guidance, Additional notes, section n. ), and that fixed equipment is within the scope of part P even if the final connection is via a 13A plug.. ( Part P document, General Guidance, Additional notes, section h )

But as stated, Part P doesn't apply to commercial or industrial properties, only domestic installs contained therin ( ie a flat above a shop.. )

ColJack said:
But as stated, Part P doesn't apply to commercial or industrial properties, only domestic installs contained therin ( ie a flat above a shop.. )

I thought Part P will apply to the commercial and industrial installation if it shares a common supply with the domestic dwelling?

it says that in mixed developments, where the regulations differ for the domestic and non-domestic parts, then the non-domestic regulations shall apply to common areas..

not sure if that applies to shared suplies..?

so, if the flat above a shop has a shared supply then the shop and flat come under part P, but if it has it's own supply then only the flat does..

That is how I understand the law as written, the part p document you referred to above is a guidance document and being issued by the former ODPM should have been accurate, but as has been point out what the guidance says and what the Statutory Instrument (Law) says can be two different things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back