Should my dad be doing this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello sparkies.

My dad has been asked to do some electrical work at his place of work and i am not sure if he can legally do it,( Part P)

His job is as a caretaker of a large appartment block which houses junior doctors and nurses in a NHS hospital, although he is employed by a private company.

The appartments are only 6 mnths old and in their wisdom all the appliances in each appartment are hard wired into fused spurs (kettle/microwave/lamps etc) about 10 spurs in each one. I not too sure why they would do that other than not having to have everything PAT tested.
They have now realised that if any of the appliances break down they will have to get a electrician in to fit a new one.
So the plan is to send my dad on a PAT testing course and then get him to go round and convert all the fused spurs to sockets and put plugs on all the appliances and them PAT test them all each year.

Is he allowed to do the converting bit as he has no qualifications to show he is compatent.

Sponsored Links
why not wait until each appliance breaks then fix.? if it aint broken dont fix it. :D

scatmanjohn said:
Hello sparkies.

My dad has been asked to do some electrical work at his place of work and i am not sure if he can legally do it,( Part P)

His job is as a caretaker of a large appartment block which houses junior doctors and nurses in a NHS hospital, although he is employed by a private company.

The appartments are only 6 mnths old and in their wisdom all the appliances in each appartment are hard wired into fused spurs (kettle/microwave/lamps etc) about 10 spurs in each one. I not too sure why they would do that other than not having to have everything PAT tested.
They have now realised that if any of the appliances break down they will have to get a electrician in to fit a new one.
So the plan is to send my dad on a PAT testing course and then get him to go round and convert all the fused spurs to sockets and put plugs on all the appliances and them PAT test them all each year.

Is he allowed to do the converting bit as he has no qualifications to show he is compatent.

he is not qualified and not insured, so no, he can not legaly do it.

Sponsored Links
Cheers breezer

If he was to do a Part P course would he then be allowed.

if thats the case, see reply by breezer, alan ,edit::: 6 months old???????, under warranty ?????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back