PAT Testing using a MFT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The reason I am asking is simple. A friend of mine has a mobile disco, all his gear is less than a year old.

However, he has been asked to do a disco for a mutual friend, but, the venue want his equipment PAT tested none the less. I don't want to have to hire a tester do it as there are only a few pieces of equipment. Can I do it using my MFT instead?

Sponsored Links
I have looked up MFT and nothing seems to line up with question.

To PAT test with 17th Edition meters as they are know is possible except for the 25A test on earth cables and with equipment which has some timing element it is the only way.

The forms for all testing are available here Equipment formal visual and combined inspection and test record is the bit that needs filling in for PAT testing. The "Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment" gives details of how it should be tested and anyone with a C&G 2377-02 & 2377- 01 should know what should be tested. The fact you are asking the question makes me think you are not trained to do the work?

Beware the Kewtech adaptor that they sell claiming that you can do PAT testing using an MFT.

Yes, you can do some of the PAT tests but not all as required by the COP. Look at the COP - a bargain £35 read - and all is explained.

Think of the insurance angle as well - are you covered for PAT testing?, do they want you to have C&G2377 (think that's the right number) or are they happy with your 2391 which is IMHO far superior.

Managed to get a PAT Tester from the community centre I PAT test for. Just to clarify I am qualified and insured for PAT testing, like you say Creme, 2391 is far superior to 2377.

Sponsored Links
Beware the Kewtech adaptor that they sell claiming that you can do PAT testing using an MFT.

Yes, you can do some of the PAT tests but not all as required by the COP. Look at the COP - a bargain £35 read - and all is explained.

You're talking about this, I take it?

The only test(s), as proscribed by the IEE CoP, that it can't enable you to do is the protective conductor current/touch current test or substitute/alternative leakage test (section 15.3, page 73).

These tests are for appliances where a 500V dc insulation resistance test would not be appropriate. Another suitable substitute test for such appliances would be an IR test at a reduced voltage, such as 250V dc (section 15.5, page 75).

So, if your MFT can do both 'hard' (current upto 26A) and 'soft' (20mA to 200mA) earth continuity tests, and 250V and 500V IR tests, then there's no reason why the Kewtech adaptor can't be used in all cases.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back