Rules & Regs (don't mention pt.P)

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Keeping clear (within) any permissible UK (current) rulings and doing it DIY and not wishing to involve local inspectors etc. - being otherwise quite compentent in wiring - what am I permitted to do here.

Wishing to provide a 13A supply to the outside of my garage (which has its own CU feed on the protected circuit) for an attached shed. Presumably not permitted to build my own spur off the garage ring (to a suitable IP rated socket). Can I supply my needs via an flex supplied extension socket off a plug top via a suitably protected hole through the wall ?

Sponsored Links
Keeping clear (within) any permissible UK (current) rulings
With that aim it's not possible to not mention Part P, as the Building Regulations are current UK regulations, and Part P (in fact all of the Building Regulations) applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

and doing it DIY and not wishing to involve local inspectors etc. - being otherwise quite compentent in wiring - what am I permitted to do here.
The list of non-notifiable work can be found in Schedule 4.

Wishing to provide a 13A supply to the outside of my garage (which has its own CU feed on the protected circuit) for an attached shed.
If the shed is attached then why do you need a socket on the outside of your garage?

Can I supply my needs via an flex supplied extension socket off a plug top via a suitably protected hole through the wall ?
Not really.

It would be better by far to do a proper job and not notify than to find a poxy bodged solution designed to avoid being notifiable.

JM2
If your trying to avoid notification, fees and inspection by building controls, the legal route to do this would be, by the means of the use of an electrician that is registered on one of the domestic scheme providers, so they can certificate the work for you.
what am I permitted to do here
If you are trying to avoid notification, fees, inspection etc..
You are not legally permitted to do this type of work.
To do the work safely
You need to design a suitable circuit, calculate your fuse rating for this situation and use the correct cable sizing and cable type for it's purpose, the accessories and cable must be suitable for the environment and the location will mean that RCD protection must be used on this circuit.
The circuit should then be tested to prove it is safe and results documented, then at least if you get dobbed in, you have got proof that you safely, if not legally installed the circuit or addition to it.
Your location is down as UK, different regulations will apply to different countries within the UK.

Sponsored Links
Wishing to provide a 13A supply to the outside of my garage (which has its own CU feed on the protected circuit) for an attached shed.

If the shed is attached then why do you need a socket on the outside of your garage?
[It might magically appear in the shed when built up to the o/s wall (can't see any other easy way to provide power)]

It would be better by far to do a proper job and not notify than to find a poxy bodged solution designed to avoid being notifiable.

Fully agree, proper job the way to go. To keep things straight I might prep the cases and end up paying a reg'd spark to wire up & certify (that hurts ...) then have the desired switched spur off the ring to an ip54 socket (or twin).

Taa for the rules, JM2.

Fully agree, proper job the way to go. To keep things straight I might prep the cases and end up paying a reg'd spark to wire up & certify (that hurts ...) then have the desired switched spur off the ring to an ip54 socket (or twin).

Taa for the rules, JM2.
You might want to speak to the registered spark before you start the work because he/she is unable to sign off other peoples work.

Really? That sounds a bit stitched up. I can imagine folk not really wanting to take over a job, any job, but if I were going foul things up by mounting a few cases and drilling holes etc that sounds rather off.

Well, yes, thanks for the heads up before I get carried away.

I reckoned PtP wasn't a bad idea but I can see better now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back