Run 16A off standard plug socket - is it possible?

I'm a rough bastard, if it was just for occasional use at home I'd bung a good quality 13A plug on it, make sure the socket outlet was a good quality make as well and just check to make sure that neither get too warm :LOL:

I'd make plans to install a SP+N 16A ceeform outlet on its own circuit for it, but never get round to it :LOL:

Sponsored Links
does this also mean disconnecting one of the terminals, and run using just one of the elements, means the machine will not work?

Removing both strappers and powering up only one element will mean the water will take twice as long to reach the right temperature.

That will only be problem if there is a supervisory timer that limits the time the heater can be on.

Though the wait for coffee will be longer and that could be a problem. :oops:

the bottom of the two elements is larger than the top. it wont be the recovery so much as the initial heating that will be the problem.... but obviously this is not ideal

Sponsored Links
I look at it differently.

If it is an Italian machine (they do not have the benefits of the splendid UK RFC and fused plug) the designer will have had in mind the common Italian plug and socket.

This does not mean, however, that the thing actually draws 16A.

Try it.

If you have a clamp meter you can see what it actually does draw.

lots of appliances say in the instructions "needs a 16A supply" if they have not been designed for the UK market, but are happy on a 13A plug.

p.s. are you using it in the home, or in a Cafe or something?

You haven't said whether the socket outlet you want to use is on a 32A ring final circuit or a 16A or 20A radial.

This would make a difference, because if you're on a 16A radial you could wire a ceeform socket straight on.

You haven't said whether the socket outlet you want to use is on a 32A ring final circuit or a 16A or 20A radial.

This would make a difference, because if you're on a 16A radial you could wire a ceeform socket straight on.

How do i check which of these it is? i am in rented accommodation and cannot make any major changes.

plug a lamp in the socket you want to use and start pulling fuses / flipping breakers.. if you pull out a 30 / 32A and the light goes out it's that one..

and I'd say it is 16A needed since it's rated at 3.7KW on the plate..
so i recon that's a 400W pump, 2KW heating element and a 1.1KW heating element, and a bit for the solenoids and controls..

as for recovery. I'd see about getting the tank lagged with something.. to retain the heat better, it must lose loads of heat as it is..

the machine needs plumbing into the mains water and a drain for the waste - the only place it can go is at a double socket (without running an extension), dont know if this makes a difference. i will check the fuses shortly (flat mates doing work, need the power)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back