Is it possible to get a fused IP44 plug or socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

we're getting some building work done and part of that will include them running power to a garage. I'm not asking about any of the SWA/CU type questions - that'll be for the spark to figure out.

My question, though, is about the (I presume) IP44 socket I'll ask them to put in for my 150A (DC out) welder. The max input current is 28A so I guess I'll be asking them to put in a 32A IP44. All good, if that assessment is correct.

But what if, later on, I want to plug in a device with a 16A IP44 plug (say a smaller welder)? How do I "downrate" the connection to be max 16A? Can you get fused IP44 plugs?

Cheers
Scott

Sponsored Links
Just realised I'm a donkey and that 16A and 32A IP44 plugs are physically different :oops:

OK - here's a different question :D would a 32A to 16A adapter / lead come with a 16A fuse?

Just install a 32amp and 16amp socket on separate circuits next to each other, your covered all ways then, simples :)

Sponsored Links
Why :eek: ?

The one linked to has 2 MCBs in an enclosure - it would be reasonable to assume they've used 16A.

Use of stuffing glands isn't too clever, but if it just lies under a raised floor...

Maaaaaybe... dunno really. I don't actually have anything to plug into the 16A - I was just wondering what the options were if I woke up one day and decided I wanted to do it.

I guess the best answer is to run a 32A socket off a 32A MCB and a 16A one off a 16A MCB then.

Thanks all

I drilled my garage on the thick bits of the concrete. You can go about an inch deep which gives you a plenty good enough fixing without drilling right through the concrete.

DSCN0529.jpg

Nuff said

Not spoken to him yet, BAS. Just sounding out whether it's realistic to ask for a 16A and a 32A, and it seems it is :D

Just realised I'm a donkey and that 16A and 32A IP44 plugs are physically different :oops:

OK - here's a different question :D would a 32A to 16A adapter / lead come with a 16A fuse?
They are indeed diffrent sizes, if not overly clear if just googling images! A 32 to 16amp lead ort to include a fuse/breaker but I have seen a lot that dont. I have seen a 125 A 5pin straight down to 16amp three pin unfused, but its not a very clever idea.

Just install a 32amp and 16amp socket on separate circuits next to each other, your covered all ways then, simples :)
Indeed, expcially if the consumer unit is near by.
- Alternatively you could have a 32amp supply, to a 32amp socket, and the a fused spur of this to a 16amp socket if the CU is a long way and adding the second cable cost prohibative.

Daniel

Indeed, expcially if the consumer unit is near by.
- Alternatively you could have a 32amp supply, to a 32amp socket, and the a fused spur of this to a 16amp socket if the CU is a long way and adding the second cable cost prohibative.

I don't think I would be considering doing it this way, I would be looking at putting in a nice meaty submain from the CU and fitting a 'garage cu' then feed separate feeds from there for the 32a and 16a, can then do lights and 13a sockets on their own circuits. And if it was my house, I'd be putting RCBOs in too.

Last thing you want to do is travel a long way back to the CU to reset a breaker all geared up and covered in welding crud

I would be looking at putting in a nice meaty submain from the CU and fitting a 'garage cu' then feed separate feeds from there ....

Last thing you want to do is travel a long way back to the CU to reset a breaker all geared up and covered in welding crud

Well this is also true, although to a certain extend it depends on the amount of welding the OP is planning to do, and the welder i question.

I have a small 160amp inverter mig, which will run very happly off a 13amp socket, and I use it in my garage for about an hour every third month if that, at which point you have to balance cost of install vs cost of conveinence.
Obviously if you want to put a 450amp twin wire welding robot in there and run it 24/7 with a targeted 95% uptime, in conjunction with other power tools, and a preheat over(?), the feed requirments change.

Daniel

Indeed, expcially if the consumer unit is near by. - Alternatively you could have a 32amp supply, to a 32amp socket, and the a fused spur of this to a 16amp socket if the CU is a long way and adding the second cable cost prohibative.
True, but if you wanted tio use an FCU for that spur, you'd obviously be limited to a 13A fuse. As others have said, the 'separate feeds' is certainly the nicer solution, although the spur might feel attractive if the sockets are distant from the CU.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back