Welding Machine plug??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A guy at work has just bought a welder and asked if i could put a plug on it and get an extension lead for it.
The manual says you will need a commando plug for it - which is ok, but he says he wants an extension lead with a BS1363 plug on one end an a commando socket at the other end. He wants to be able to plug it into a normal socket to power his welder and says that that was what he did with his old one before it got nicked.

Can this be right? The welder draws 29.3 amps and doesn't it have to be on a C breaker due to the high starting current?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, needs a 32A cee connector, feed from a C32 breaker from what I can see.

Welders favourite trick is to use a BS1363 plug anyway and when the 13A BS1362 fuse fails eventually, to put a length of bolt in there :eek:

Much like the musicians who disconnect cpcs at plug tops to eliminate ground loops, it gets things working (and thats all that matters isn't it ;) )

Is there any way i can make an extension lead for this?
can you get a 32amp BS1362 fuse?

You might even find it needs a 'D' type breaker, as it's rated current is pretty close to 32A.

My welder will run off a plug top, but it is only a tiddler.

If you do try and use the big welder with a bodged plugtop, you will see lots of these:

IMGP2317.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is there any way i can make an extension lead for this?

Yes, just use connectors appopiate to those installed on the welder and on the wall and a suitable size of flex :LOL:

can you get a 32amp BS1362 fuse?

Even if you could, it'd be particulaly poor idea to install on in a BS1363 13A plug top! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back