3-pin 16a-32a Socket and Cable Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to install a 3-pin socket to power my new inverter welder which hasn't arrived yet. I noticed that there are 16a and 32a 3-pin sockets available.

I think its wise to install the 32a socket on a 32a MCB. Now a guy today told me that if my welder came with a 16a plug, it won't fit the 32a socket. I haven't looked at these industrial socket in the flesh but I think thats a load of balls? One is rated higher than the other but both fit without problems?

Also, the run from the CU to the new socket is about 5m max and I will install it in conduit. Is 6mm correct for this or will 4mm be fine?

Can you get outdoor industrial 3-pin sockets?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I think its wise to install the 32a socket on a 32a MCB. Now a guy today told me that if my welder came with a 16a plug, it won't fit the 32a socket. I haven't looked at these industrial socket in the flesh but I think thats a load of balls? One is rated higher than the other but both fit without problems?

He's right. 16A next to a 32A:
mini5_vertical_16amp_commando_pdus_mini5.jpg

Can you get outdoor industrial 3-pin sockets?

IEC 60309 sockets are rated IP44. This should be sufficient for most outdoor situations.

You'd be best to fit 16A if that is all you require. One good reason for this is that you can't safely have a 32A plug to 16A socket jump lead without an OCPD (fuse, breaker) between the two, otherwise there is the potential there for the 16A socket to be loaded up to 32A. Either that, or fit both 16A and 32A outlets in your workshop.

iirc 4mm is rated 32A for singles in surface mounted conduit on a single phase supply. If there are any de-rating factors then you'll need to go bigger.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that people.

The reason for the choice of a 32a circuit was that my old now broken welder had a habbit of tripping the 16a mcb and sometimes before the 13a fuse had blown.

Suppose I would be better wait till the welder comes, see what sort of plug is on the welder and fit the matching socket. If its a 16a plug then I will fit a 16a socket. I could get the converter/adapter lead but like mentioned, you don't want the welder if fitted with a 16a plug, pulling more than 16a from a 32a circuit?

The reason for the choice of a 32a circuit was that my old now broken welder had a habbit of tripping the 16a mcb and sometimes before the 13a fuse had blown.
This is when you want a C16 MCB which has short circuit characteristics similar to a B32 but overload characteristics similar to a B16.

Thats a good point. I had thought about a type c mcb but I wasn't sure if it would solve the problem.

I will keep that in mind, now you have mentioned it.

The problem with type D breakers is trying to get the Zs low enough, for a 16A type D the max measured Zs is 0.6 ohms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back