32A or 16A 110v plug?

J

johnmf

Had some 9 inch angle grinders come in for use in our factory. they have come with 32A plugs on them as they take 18.4A and are 2000 watt. voltage is 110volts

as we tend to use small grinders most all our extensions are 1.5mm with 16A sockets and plugs. the transformers we have, have 2x16A outlets on and 1x32A.

previously weve just stuck a 16A plug on the 9 inch grinders but this is the first time ive seen the wattage they take so have been thinking i should make up some 2.5mm extensions with 32A sockets and plugs to utilise the 32A socket on the transformer. this has caused a argument at work as 16A ones have always been fitted before without any real problem.

am i being a bit too picky wanting to keep the 32A plug on or would others agree with me. due to the intermittent nature the grinders are used and the fact its a small overload its unlikelly to cause a problem but as its me who's changing them i want to be sure.

Sponsored Links
You must never use 16A leads and connectors for a load wich exceeds 16A, regardless of wether it is intermittent use or not.

Are the 16A outputs protected by a 16A overcurrent device?

no, the transformers are the type with 240volt 13A plug on. they are 5kva i believe with 3 110v outlets on them (2x16A'S and 1x32A). they have a trip switch on but dont believe this individually protects each 16A outlet.

looks like some bigger csa leads with 32A plugs and sockets then. knew i was right but not sure if others would class this as being a bit picky. its the usual, ''theyve been like that for years'' coments i was getting today.

Sponsored Links
Just because it works dont mean it will be safe. Do the plugs get warm after long periods of use ?

dont get especially warm no. im well aware its not correct but wondered how strictly other people adhere to this. looks like some bigger extensions and 32A sockets/plugs are called for

I would think virtually everyone sticks very rigidly to using connectors sized apropriately to the load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back