3 Round Pin Socket

... so, as you imply, it seems that in the contexts we are talking about, "Board" probably does not actually refer to the 'organisation' itself but, rather, to the group of people running it?

yes, it means the "Board of Directors"

Collective noun

At the time I am thinking of, they would have been local councillors, civic dignitaries, noted engineers and other experts, acedemics, union leaders, businessmen etc.

The "Board" was set up first, and it was their job to put the organisation into place.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
The "Board" was set up first, and it was their job to put the organisation into place.
Indeed - but the odd thing seems to be that, having come into existence and 'put the organisation into place' they then gave the name "Board" to the organisation itself, even though it was they, not the organisation, that was a 'Board' (as defined).

Let's face it, the same naming convention could have been applied to any company (which, necessarily, has a Board of Directors {even if, these days, only one Director!}), but I can't recall any company called a 'Board' for that reason (in fact, it might not even be allowed).

Kind Regards, John

Let's face it, the same naming convention could have been applied to any company (which, necessarily, has a Board of Directors {even if, these days, only one Director!}), but I can't recall any company called a 'Board' for that reason (in fact, it might not even be allowed).

SEEBOARD above?

Sponsored Links
SEEBOARD above?
Well, even that is not "SEE Board". However, although those who scrape barrels will undoubtedly find a few exceptions, I'm sure that my general point remains - that very very few companies have called themselves 'Boards' (even if they are allowed to have 'Board' as a standalone word in their name - which may not be the case).

In any event, the formation of companies does not work quite as JohnD described for the 'Boards'. When one sets up a company one sets up the organisation - not just the Director(s) who subsequently put the organisation in place (and name it).

Kind Regards, John

I've worked at several, and I think SEEBoard was the only one.

You still get (older) taxi drivers and other people making deliveries who say "I'll be round to the Board in ten minutes"
I believe LEB NORWEB kept the name initially but I'm not sure and happy to be corrected.

Either ytou didn't understand me or else you really are 'scraping barrels'. I thought it was clear that I was talking about 'ordinary' ('trading', in the usual sense) companies, very very few (if any) of which have company names describing them as 'Boards'. Your examples are much more by way of 'organisations' ('Harbour Boards' etc.), along the lines of the electricity etc. "Boards" we have been discussing.

Kind Regards, John

The E increased cost seems to be commensurate with the current level of gas generation - gas is generating about 1/3rd of the power and the E increase is around 1/3 to 1/2.
Today, yes. As I speak, gas accounts for 30.58%, but that is probably because it's a pretty windy day, with currently 34.9% coming from wind. I think it would be more normal for gas to account for appreciably more than half.
I think this, a few minutes ago, is more typical (and in keeping with what I suggested), now that the wind has subsided ...

upload_2021-10-9_20-32-48.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back