Run pipes under floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Im in the process of renovating an old terraced house which had the original old floating wooden floor.
I have removed it and got hardcore down ready for sand and insulation then final concrete.
I have had gas fitter install all pipework on the top of the hardcore..
Is this ok.. or should the pipes have been run somewhere else.. all pipes are insulated, and he tested them with air pressure... I am just a little concerned that it should not have been done like this.. how can a leak be detected in the future?
Thanks
legepe

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Its less than ideal I would say.Not sure of all the rules and regs concerning buried gas pipes.But It should be buried to a certain depth.Sheathed correctly.Sealed correctly etc.Your gas safe man/woman/trans/non binary will look into it all I am sure

Any leak will involve digging it up or running a new pipe somewhere

Would have been better to run them above the dpm as well. Do you mean just gas supply or heating?

Sponsored Links
Its all pipework.. supply, heating, hot and cold... I know now I should have had it done differently... to late though to start ripping it up.. guess its a matter of live and learn.. cant rely on tradesmen to give you the best advice.. its simply whats easiest/best for them..
Unless someone can tell me any different I think it would have been best to run plastic pipes in conduit.. and if there were any leaks the pipes could have been replaced and the only joins would have been above ground... problem would have been insulating...

To be honest the ideal situation would be the only things going through the insulation layer would be incoming cold water/gas/electric and outgoing waste.
If you run pipes through structural elements that might move it's always wise to include a compressible layer around them. You wouldn't want your floor to settle slightly and then the concrete above puts a concentrated load on the pipe. Sounds like your insulation will perform that task. Regarding the pressure test, he should not have done it with air, it should have been water, as compressed air hold a lethal amount of energy wheras water doesn't.

Regarding the pressure test, he should not have done it with air, it should have been water, as compressed air hold a lethal amount of energy wheras water doesn't.
He told me he should have done it with water but it would have been difficult to get the water out

Not very clued up on safety then. Sounds like your plumber kind of know what to do, but has no idea why.

Its all pipework.. supply, heating, hot and cold... I know now I should have had it done differently... to late though to start ripping it up.. guess its a matter of live and learn.. cant rely on tradesmen to give you the best advice.. its simply whats easiest/best for them..
Unless someone can tell me any different I think it would have been best to run plastic pipes in conduit.. and if there were any leaks the pipes could have been replaced and the only joins would have been above ground... problem would have been insulating...

Gas if fine if its done as suggested in early post. sleeved being best

thing is Copper is getting so thin and cheap now Im not sure thats the best way.
I never put push fit under the floor. would do a manifold system so no fittings are under floor. even this is not always ideal and works better on certain systems

I use a crimping pipe system called buteline I trust this under floors but make sure fittings are wrapped in Denzo.

Bodd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back