Run submerged waterfall pump without water, what will happen

Could you fit some sort of automatic cutout switch, that has to be manually reset in the event of a power failure.

Not sure what they would be called, but the idea is in the event of a power failure the switch automatically turns to the off position. When power is restored, the switch remains in the off position until its manually reset.

Salem.

Sponsored Links
You will destroy the pump bearings.

The bearings are nowadays usually ceramic and water lubricated - remove the water and you will be rubbing a steel shaft against a ceramic (stone) bearing.

salem2000 said:
Could you fit some sort of automatic cutout switch, that has to be manually reset in the event of a power failure.

Not sure what they would be called, but the idea is in the event of a power failure the switch automatically turns to the off position. When power is restored, the switch remains in the off position until its manually reset.

Salem.

That cutout switch would be a good idea. Are there such devices that one can buy online?

That would prevent further damage...

The waterfall pond setup looks similar to this. At the bottom of the waterfall, there is a pond with a skimmer which house the pump
Pond_skimmerplan.gif

How about the current humming noise....how to remedy existent problem

you can only fix the humming by getting a new pump :(

you already have the bascic bits for said control.

connect the float sitch via a relay.

so that if your float swithc "trips" it breaks the supply to the relay.
the relay also cuts the supply to itself.

so to get it strated the float switch must be level and you press a button connected to the relay contacts that break the supply to the relay (when you push the button it then allows the supply to the relay

Sponsored Links
I have seen a delay timer device used for refrigerators---where in time of a power surge or black out, the device will only allow electricity after a preset time...

There was mention in the forum about an automatic cutout switch.
I was thinking of it as similar to the "appliance timer" you can buy in hardware, but instead of timing its on and off, the device will remain off once electricity is out. And you have to manual reset it to restart the device.

Are there such a automatic cutout switch device?

I over looked the obvious. :oops:

over here we have plug in RCD's (GFI to you) they switch off and need to be manualy reset after a power cut.

The GFI as I know in our house, is the one placed in the kitchen and bathroom. In case water spills, on the outlet, it will cut off the power. You have to manually reset it to be useful.

so? get another plug in one, its esier than trying to coble something together

The outlet for the pump is already GFI. GFI only cut off power when there is a short circuit. however when normal electrical power cutoff wont trigger it.

that which you describe is NOT a gfi

a gfi is NOT for a short circuit, (its for a fault to earth, not overload current) an MCB is (i dont know what you call call it over there)

why not go to your local diy store and ask for a plug in gfi

over here most plug in rcd's (gfi) will need to be manualy reset if the power supply is removed, which is what you want

If the set up is like the picture you posted, where is the problem?

In the diagram, the inlet to the skimmer section is positioned quite low so the sump ( skimmer part of the pond) will always be full of water, even if there is a power outage.

Can't the inlet be repositioned so it is much lower? Surely that is a beeter solution than having to restet a cutout device?

Or have I missed something?

I think you have missed something.

its a drawing you are looking at, not a picture which is what io asked the op for.

I agrree there has to be a better idea, but until we get a picture, not a lot we can do.

a year later no picture, and no more posts, that was his last post, oh well, no helping some folk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back