runner in turning staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I can find a lot of photos on the internet, but no one exactly tells how to do it.
So I'm hoping someone here will be able to help.

I would like to achieve this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/haddingtoncarpets/8266497257/in/photostream/

I bought a piece of carpet that is about 15m long and 60cm wide. It has strips like this one.
So my first question will be.

In order to achieve a clean install like the one on the photos, can I do it with the one piece of standard, straight carpet runner I bought or is the runner on the photo custom made ?

If not order to measure, then how can I do that ?

I thought it would just require a bit of cutting, but then I've got that problem that on the turning stairs, if you cut along the stair then you need a few more cm to start on the next stair, because you need to cut in diagonal.

Please help me !!!

Sponsored Links
I suspect (indeed know) you will struggle.......

striped carpet has a pattern repeat..........

Once you determine how wide you wish your runner to be you have to add at least the pattern repeat to the width of your donor piece of carpet, I always allowed 1.5 times the pattern repeat when determining the desired width when estimating.

This allows the pattern to remain centralised all the way up, winders or not.

people often do not realise that carpet is manufactured in set widths, commonly 4 and 5 meters wide - this allows an estimator to design a cutting plan, traditionally 0.5m is allowed for each tread and riser (even though it measures less - typically .43 - .45cm each
....this allowance gives the fitter a fighting chance of satisfying you the customer!

you have not even mentioned (or considered?) how you intend to "dress" the finished side edge? - leaving it raw will lead to serious fraying!!!

sorry but that roll end is not quite the bargain you thought it was

In that photo, each winder looks like it's on an angle and fitted wonky. It should line up and lay square over the winder, this will mean that every stripe will not line up, but at least the stripe will be straight.

Personally laying a striped runner like that would drive me nuts!

Stripe carpet on a winding stair case is not a great idea visualy.

If you have a more common staircase where there are 2, 3, or maybe 4 winders making each 'turn' then i'd fit each unner individually, you should be able to get the centre line to match each step, all other lines will run out.

Kinda like this but as a runner, not closed covered.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice

I did struggle but I eventually managed to do a job I'm happy with.
I needed slack on the sides for the turns and the runner is 61cm wide.
So I cut it down to 50cm on the straight part.
My staircase is quite narrow (80cm ) so it actually looks better at 50cm.

Anyway, it allowed me to do the turns almost perfectly but an extra 8 or 10cm would have been much easier and I think look even better.

So my advice to anyone who wants to do it:
If you want to buy a ready cut runner like mine, avoid strips patterns, it just makes it a lot harder.
If you want strips, take a runner about 10cm wider than what you want.
If like me you bought something without knowing, then its doable but in the turn, the strips can't perfectly follow the curve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back