Running 230V Power Shower at 110V (‘Economy’ Mode)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you safely run a 230V power shower pump at 110V to run the shower in a ‘quiet / economy’ mode. The 110V would come from a suitable step-down transformer (not isolating to so as to preserve safety earth).

Reverting to ‘regular’ 230V as required by removing the step-down transformer.

What do people think?

Cheers,
Tony

Sponsored Links
I would say there's a pretty good chance the pump won't actually boost the water pressure at all with a reduced supply voltage, and just get overheated.

Probably more effective to do away with the pump completely, and select plumbing brassware that will function with the available water pressure.

Hi tony
not a good idea mate it will draw more current and even if the transformer can supply said current then the motor windings will overheat and burn out
have a google on the effects of undervoltage on a motor
Matt

Sponsored Links
No I would think it would need an inverter if squirrel cage motor the frequency sets speed not voltage so both frequency and voltage need altering together.

For a brushed motor it is the relationship between field and armature and also load and if upset the balance then you can easy stall and burn out the motor plus of course the air cooling will not work as well once slowed down.

Permanent magnet motors can often be controlled with voltage as we all knew as kids with our train sets but even these now have all sorts of special units that pulse and measure back EMF so as to work out when motor is turning so not to over speed or allow a stall.

In my parents house we found you could just turn of electric supply and it worked well without the power so when changed to combi boiler the power shower was changed for a standard one and in fact worked better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back