Running a Cable 250 meters to a Shower block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to run two cables from the house. Both cables are 250 meters in length. One is going to supply a shower block with two showers and has 4 electric heaters. The other is to a caravan for lighting only. Could somebody help with what rating of cable i should purchase.

Regards from a new member :) :)

Sponsored Links
You'll be looking at a 100A supply for the toilet block and careful consideration to the rating of your chosen showers and heaters as I guess there's a good chance of them all being on at the same time, especially in the colder months. You'll also require lighting ;)
Where are you going to supply it from?
Can you get a new feed installed by your DNO direct to the toilet block?
Where is the caravan in relation to the toilet block?

Either way, it's going to cost an absolute fortune!

Probably a 2 core 35mm SWA to the toilet block.
I assume you're thinking of a trench?

Sponsored Links
What supply type do you have - is it TN-CS? Do you have 3 phase? What size showers are you talking of?

You'll be looking at a 100A supply for the toilet block and careful consideration to the rating of your chosen showers and heaters as I guess there's a good chance of them all being on at the same time, especially in the colder months. You'll also require lighting ;)
Where are you going to supply it from?
Can you get a new feed installed by your DNO direct to the toilet block?
Where is the caravan in relation to the toilet block?

Either way, it's going to cost an absolute fortune!

Look like it would be best if i use Gas for the heating and showers and use the electric just for lighting

What supply type do you have - is it TN-CS? Do you have 3 phase? What size showers are you talking of?

Sorry about using quotes all the time , but not sure how to reply. Great to get so many replies ...great site

The caravan is in the opposite direction , and the supply will be coming the the main fuse box of the house.. Not to worry with the main box i will not be playing with that one, will get a pro to that. Not sure what rating the showers will be either , first i was going to use gas thats bottle gas , this has gone up and up, so i though electric would be cheaper has i would be using the white meter. Sorry if i sound loss but keep changing my mind on would to do.

but not sure how to reply.

you just need to click on the
reply.gif
button to reply.

"white meter" is for "off peak" so as its for a shower block it will be of no use to you

bottled gas will be a pain (when it runs out) and any energy be it gas lecy or oil will be expensive

other thing is does it need planning permission and or insurance?

it sounds like you are starting a caravan site

Thanks for the 'post reply'

Thought i could use the white meter as the shower and hot water in the main house uses this method, but does mean that you have not to have more than 4 showers a day... or long ones... Thanks for your help gives me food for thought.

Thanks for the 'post reply'

Thought i could use the white meter as the shower and hot water in the main house uses this method, but does mean that you have not to have more than 4 showers a day... or long ones... Thanks for your help gives me food for thought.

eh, an off peak supply usually onyl works a night, i think some may come on for an hour in the daytime as a top up? could you post a picture of meter and parts next to it. If you are going to have 2 showers and 4 heaters all running plus your current house you will probably blow your main fuse :eek: Could you maby change the showers to stored water. a 300ltr cylinder with a couple of 3kw heaters in, you could also use gas to heat this maby.

In the house for the hot water we have a very large cylinder not sure of the volume but it must be 6ft high. We can set it just to use the white meter or you can have it running all day. We normally have it on white meter as only once ran out of hot water.
I will have to check out the fuse values next time i am at the house. I thinking now that maybe gas would be better for the showers. The only problem is that it would not be mains gas.

Thanks for the ideas, Adrian

you deffo need an additional 100 amp supply regardless.
As stated 35mm 2 core will be ideal run to its own c.unit, and a TT system at other end. All circuits on 30ma rcd.....this will cost a bomb.

In the house for the hot water we have a very large cylinder not sure of the volume but it must be 6ft high. We can set it just to use the white meter or you can have it running all day. We normally have it on white meter as only once ran out of hot water.
I will have to check out the fuse values next time i am at the house. I thinking now that maybe gas would be better for the showers. The only problem is that it would not be mains gas.

Thanks for the ideas, Adrian

so if your shower is connected to it do you only have a shower in the middle of the night? or do you infact not have an electric shower?

thefisherman, if this is a business venture, it may be better and cheaper to have the DNO run a new supply to the shower block. Yes, they will charge a fortune, but they work to different rules so may be able to actually do it cheaper. There may be a supply available to them closer to the shower block. Get a quote off them, or enquire as to the viability of it. it cant hurt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back