Running additional sattelite cables from my loft to lounge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Just wondering if this is possible...
I have a sattelite cable running from the loft down into my lounge. It must have been installed when the property was built.

The house has plasterboard walls and, I can see from the loft that the wires go into some very slim trunking. Was hoping I could fish it down with the existing wire, but not sure if that is going to be possible.

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with similar and can give me any advice?

Photo_01-05-2018_18_17_47.jpg

Photo_01-05-2018_18_17_56.jpg

Sponsored Links
You might struggle to get it down the same bit of trunking, but there's nothing stopping you taking the box off/out downstairs and then dropping a rod to run parallel to the existing white trunking. Is it a bungalow or a two storey property?

You might struggle to get it down the same bit of trunking, but there's nothing stopping you taking the box off/out downstairs and then dropping a rod to run parallel to the existing white trunking. Is it a bungalow or a two storey property?

Thanks, ok that makes sense. It is a 2 storey property so it would be a bit of a run down. Seems very tight.

is it satellite or normal aeriel cable
i only ask as each cable needs its own connection to a separate satellite lnb output to allow a different channel to be viewed

Sponsored Links
is it satellite or normal aeriel cable
i only ask as each cable needs its own connection to a separate satellite lnb output to allow a different channel to be viewed

It is satellite but don't worry, have a quad LNB so ample capacity.

Just not sure how they route those wires in the first place. I am assuming they must do it before the house is complete, as it would be much easier then.

Similarly, if I wanted to run one down the back of one of the bedroom plasterboards and cut out a hole, should it just drop down, and then I use a locator to find it and cut a hole for the back box or are things harder?

have you no route via an airing or fitted cupboard to at least the first floor level hidden

have you no route via an airing or fitted cupboard to at least the first floor level hidden
hmm that's an idea, but they are all plaster walled up and there are no gaps between any pipework. Whoever did the house has done a pretty good job if sealing things up if I am honest.

the trouble is if you try and use the channels already there is you have a right angle where they change direction with little or no chance off additional cables being added
the only option i can see iff you have enough room in the trunking/capping is to open up the wall where the 90% change takes place and refeed if possible or divert somwhere else thats hidden and in a safe zone

the trouble is if you try and use the channels already there is you have a right angle where they change direction with little or no chance off additional cables being added
the only option i can see iff you have enough room in the trunking/capping is to open up the wall where the 90% change takes place and refeed if possible or divert somwhere else thats hidden and in a safe zone

Thanks for your reply.
What makes you think there is a right angle? From what I can see, this cable run goes straight down with no turns or right angles. The wires come out in the lounge in exactly the same part of the wall they drop down on up in the loft as shown in my pictures, so I am not sure that there are any right angles in the existing cable run.

You could replace the existing cable with WF65 siamese cable. Use the existing cable to pull it through, probably by soldering the ends together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back