Running cable round garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a cable from the house/garage to a water feature. Burying the cable isn't an option. Is it acceptable to run the cable in some sealed plastic piping clipped to the fence? If so would it still need to be armoured?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
you need to notify building control as its notifiable and a statutory requirement

you could use a outdoor flex clipped direct without extra mechanical protection but make it clipped in a position that will not allow impact from people and tools etc

Im just gauging ideas at present but shall follow all regs.

I would use armoured cable (SWA) clipped to fence - at least you can see it then!

Sponsored Links
Im just gauging ideas at present but shall follow all regs.
You can't possibly do that by asking a few questions here, particularly when your question about cable size shows that you don't know a single thing about circuit design.

Please spend some time, probably a fair bit of time, doing some studying.

The thing is designing and installing new circuits, outside supplies etc is not a trivial job, and I can assure you that it involves knowing far more than you think it does.

Asking questions here can be a useful part of a learning process, but they are not a substitute for proper structured studying. The key term there is "learning process" - you cannot learn all the things you need to know just by asking questions here. It isn't structured enough - it won't provide you with a way to progress where each step builds on what you learned before.

You can't carry out a job of this magnitude by asking whatever random questions happen to occur to you. You've already shown that you are ignorant of some very basic stuff - what if you get something wrong because you have no idea your knowledge is wrong? What if you miss something because you simply have no idea it even exists, and just don't realise you don't know it? I suggest you get stuck into the TLC links right away - the book won't give you design ideas, and unfortunately it doesn't refer to the current edition of the Wiring Regulations, but it's free, and will still give you a good grounding which you can augment with more up to date publications.

Be cheaper to have him provide them, and no problems with his warranty either.

Be cheaper to have him provide them, and no problems with his warranty either.

I most probably will just trying to gauge the costings before labour.

As a gas engineer I'd always rather supply the materials than fit peoples provided items. Make things so much easier all round.

Looking at pumps and the one I may purchase comes with a 10m length of cable. To save snipping this off can it be sleeve it in Armoured Conduit? would this be a cheaper option? My thoughts are it saves buying water & weather proof junction boxes ect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back