Running CAT5 cable in same conduit as 240v mains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I correct in thinking you cannot run ordinary CAT5 cable in the same PVC conduit as mains, but if I find some with a higher rated outer sheath, I will be ok, i.e. the CBUS Pink stuff?

Sponsored Links
Some guidelines for Cat5E when used as a network cable:

1. Try to avoid running cables parallel to power cables. It results in noise pickup which reduces network reliability.

2. Do not bend cables to less than four times the diameter of the cable.

3. If you bundle a group of cables together with cable ties (zip ties), do not over-cinch them. It's okay to snug them together firmly; but don't tighten them so much that you deform the cables.

4. Keep cables away from devices which can introduce noise into them. Here's a short list: copy machines, electric heaters, speakers, printers, TV sets, fluorescent lights, copiers, welding machines, microwave ovens, telephones, fans, elevators, motors, electric ovens, dryers, washing machines, and shop equipment.

5. Avoid stretching UTP cables (tension when pulling cables should not exceed 25 LBS).

6. Do not run UTP cable outside of a building. It presents a very dangerous lightning hazard!

7. Do not use a stapler to secure UTP cables. Use telephone wire/RG-6 coaxial wire hangers which are available at most hardware stores.

I'm not using the CAT5 for an Ethernet network, just as a 12v supply to a PIR. I could use normal 6 core alarm cable but then I'd definatly have to run a second conduit.

consciouspnm said:
I'm not using the CAT5 for an Ethernet network, just as a 12v supply to a PIR. I could use normal 6 core alarm cable but then I'd definatly have to run a second conduit.
why didn't you say so then? when people say "cat5" we automatically think "data network" and advise as such.

Sponsored Links
CAT5, 5e, 6 cable can be used for most ELV applications now e.g. Audio, Video, Phone, Data. The first reply was just a copy and paste from somewhere of information I already know and didn't actually answer the question.

What's going down the cable doesn't matter, it's the proximity to the mains from an IEEE point of view that interests me.

Its still a seperate issue completely! The rules about signal cable separation are different for ELV and signal cables. And they obviously have different reasons for being seperated from mains.

For all of audio, video, phone and data, they are carrying signals which need to arrive as cleanly as possible.

For pure ELV power applications, which is what you require, the rules are different. Therefore it matters lots what is going down the cable. :rolleyes:

consciouspnm said:
CAT5, 5e, 6 cable can be used for most ELV applications now e.g. Audio, Video, Phone, Data. The first reply was just a copy and paste from somewhere of information I already know and didn't actually answer the question.

What's going down the cable doesn't matter, it's the proximity to the mains from an IEEE point of view that interests me.

Well if you'd posed the question to correctly describe your proposed application, and provided some idea of your current knowledge and the actual information you were seeking, you might have got a better answer (which would not have been from me, since my speciality is networks). I saw no point typing in info already on the web - hence the cut & paste.

AFAIK if elv and lv share same conduit without seperate compartments the insulation of the elv has to be to the same standard as lv.

In otherwords no you can't.

So if I were to replace the CAT5 with 2 core mains cable e.g. for table lights, both sets of insulation would be rated the same and it would therefore be ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back