Running earth cables to gas meter and stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, i am a totally competent DIYer. I need to confirm what i intend doing is correct.

Just moved house, and had an electrics survey done as it is 1930s property.

Main concerns in the report recommend changing the various old bakelite and metal fuse boxes in the cupboard for a new consumer unit, and running new earths to within 300mm of the gas meter and stopcock.

I have no problem installing the consumer unit. My problem is that the house has solid floors, so no crawlspace, and both the gas and water enter the property on the other side of the house.

Is it acceptable to run the earth cables along the outside of the house at damp proof level?? If OK, is there a minimum height above ground?? Or should they be run in buried trunking of some kind???

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
i would say what you propose is undesireable at best but i don't knwo if its against regs

can you run the main bonds in the viod between upstairs and downstairs floors?

I could if i channelled out the wall (the electric cable enters the house in a small cupboard in the sitting room), and pulled up the floor boards of two bedrooms and the landing.

Weird that the electric enters the house in the sitting room. Maybe it was not the stiing room when the house was built...

I really don't want to do it that way unless it is the only way within regs...

Sponsored Links
Can't think there's anything wrong with running bonding outside in black pvcu conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back