Using an earth rod to bond gas and water??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im installing a new consumer unit in a property, but it is nearly impossible to get a 10mm earth to gas and water without trunking around skirting boards which would look hiddious!! Is there anything that would stop me from installing an earth rod and running earth from there to gas and water??
help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Nothing to stop you doing anything, but just what do you think attaching a wire between a gas pipe and an earth rod will acheive?

Is there anything that would stop me from installing an earth rod and running earth from there to gas and water??

What, apart from the fact that it would be dangerous and in conflict with the very basic fundamental principals of BS7671? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The whole point of EQUI-POTENTIAL bonding is to make all metal work of equal potential.

The ground is not at the same potential as the earth connection brought into the building, unless you have a TT supply, in which case your PEB's would still terminate at the main earthing terminal, not the rod outside.

The type of supply makes no difference.

Gas and other service pipes are connected to the main earth terminal using the appropriate sized wire.

With such a fundamental lack of understanding, are you sure you should be installing this consumer unit?

If you don't have a TT supply, then there is a pd between the MET and the pipework. That is not safe!

I am a fully qualified spark!
I am new to domestic work as only worked on commercial projects from drawings with a large company!

So basically your saying that regardless of the situation I must bring a 10mm earth from MET to gas and water??

Yup. If it's any easier, run it outside in black plastic conduit.

its a listed building with concrete floors and ceilings! All newly decorated with the CU at one end of building and gas and water at other end!!

Industrial, commercial and domestic installs all have a few things in common....

The presence of main protective equipotential bonding being one of them.

You cannot drive a rod in and do as you describe. For some reason I have seen this a few times on jobs, and I still struggle to understand why 'sparks' see this as acceptable?

What you propose is surperfluous (is that a word? Sounds good!) :LOL:

A 'fully qualified' spark should not be asking these things, should not be even contemplating doing what you suggest, and should not be changing a consumer unit of distribution board in a domestic, commercial or industrial environment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back