Running ethernet to outbuilding (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am wanting to lay an Ethernet cable down to my garden to get wifi in my garden office and I’m not sure what category I should post it in?

I currently have virgin media broadband and their router in my living room. Off this I have 3 x BT Whole Home discs around my house which work really well.

If I lay an Ethernet cable to my garden office…can I……..

Plug the ‘house’ end of the garden cable into the back of one of my BT discs or does it need to come direct from the virgin router?

What do I connect to the garden office end to get wifi access?

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice

Sponsored Links
I have BT internet with a Hub 2 router. The router feeds a 24 way switch and cables go round the house from there. We also have 4 BT WiFi 6 discs around the house.

We do occasionally plug a lappy into a disc and it works OK, but I have not compared the speed with that of a Cat 6 cable plugged into the switch.

If you are close enough to your nearest disc, maybe you could buy another and connect it to the mesh.

If not, I know you can plug a disc into a Cat 6 cable connected to the router and get internet and WiFi, but whether it would work the same way when connected to another disc, I'm not sure, as I have not tried this.

Maybe Mr Google will be able to help.

If I lay an Ethernet cable to my garden office…can I……..

Plug the ‘house’ end of the garden cable into the back of one of my BT discs or does it need to come direct from the virgin router?
Yes. That'll work. Going direct to the router is a more 'elegant' IT approach and does have some benefits if you're on very high broadband speeds, but it'll work just fine from a disk.

What do I connect to the garden office end to get wifi access?
At the far end you want something that can give you a WiFi network. That could be another BT disc, it'll use the ethernet cable as 'backhaul' and then it'll be as if you're on your home network. I'm 95% sure you can daisy chain a wireless connected disk to a wired connection disk but haven't checked the documentation properly. It is definitely supported from the router.

Or you can use any type of Wireless Access Port to make a new WiFi network for the garden office.

Also, use external grade Ethernet cable. It's greasy to work with but internal grade wires aren't meant to be buried.

Sponsored Links
Back