Running light wiring through a stud partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advise needed please.
I'm in the process of re-doing my ensuite bathroom.
At the moment there is a pull switch for the light inside the bathroom, however i would like this switch to be moved to the outside wall and replace with a normal light switch.

Just wondering how easy it would be to do this. The wall the light switch will be mounted on is a pastered stud partition wall. Just wondering can I just drop a wire from the loft into the stud partition. does it need to be incased or anything ? Also how would i mount a light switch on a stud partition wall.

Also just in the process on installing recessed lighting but i need to skim the ceiling. Would it be best to cut holes for the lights then skim or the other way round.

Any help or advise would be appreciated

thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not a electrician,

You can use a Dry Line Box,see this or you can cut a noggin between the stud wall say 4"x1" timber and use a metal box screw to it flush with the plasterboard thickness.

lawk said:
Also just in the process on installing recessed lighting but i need to skim the ceiling. Would it be best to cut holes for the lights then skim or the other way round.

If it was me,I would skim the ceiling first and carefully cut out the hole afterward,otherwise it's arkward skimming the ceiling with hole in it.

Hopefully,the electrician's will answer the rest of the your question

the pull cord switch is there for reasons of saftey , you can install a plate switch but it should be outside of the room (i know you said you are puting in a wall but will it be a room?) personally i would leave it.

The way I read your question, you do intend to move it outside the bathroom. If this is the case then you must run the cable down inside the partition directly above the switch in a straight line. This is a designated 'safe zone' and therefore does not require additional protection. It's worth bearing in mind that though this is a safe zone above the switch outside the bathroom, the cable should be kept at least 50mm away from the other side of the wall as you will have a cable inside the wall which is not in a designated safe zone on the bathroom side.

As for the mounting box, it's down to personal choice, but I would go for the metal flush box on a noggin.

Cut the lights in after skimming, but remember to work out where the joists are first so you don't hit one when you're cutting out for the lights.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention, you should use Safeplates to protect the wiring in the stud walls,we tend to think its for floor only!!

Thanks for the advise everyone
The switch will be outside of the bathroom.

You don't need to use safeplates as long as you stick to what I said. Route the cable directly down above the switch and a minimum of 50mm deep clearance from the bathroom side of the wall. Mechanical protection (ie safeplates) would be required if you could not install it as I said. I won't quote reg's (unless you want them?), but basically you have to install cables within safe zones or deeper than 50mm, if you do then no additional protection is required.

spark said:
You don't need to use safeplates as long as you stick to what I said.

Hmmmm ! Tricky one this,I have seen people a bit heavy handed with the electric drill go thru' cable in the noggins but you can hit the cable wire that not in the noggin area as well because people put pressure onto the plasterboard and miss the noggins & slip thru' and sometime people forget it's plasterboard !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back