Running multiple flood lights of the same switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have one of the old fashioned floodlights that has just blown a bulb and was thinking of replacing it with an LED version.

There is a switch on my lighting circuit that sends a wire outside the house to the current floodlight.

I think I would like to add a few more spotlights at the same time - i.e. one for round the side of my house and one pointing over my back door.

How can I wire them all up so they are all controlled by the same switch?

Sponsored Links
I used Energenie MiHome to switch on multi lights the remote control can be programmed to switch on many devices.

There must be today 100's of methods, including the old idea of hard wiring. I have found lights with PIR controls have switched off at most inopportune times, so tend to use my mobile phone to switch them on/off. But even then I have used bulbs direct to Smartlife, and bulbs using zigbee which is also controlled with smart life, and used smartlife to link remote controls, and used plug in adaptors as well as smart bulbs, it is totally up to you how it is done, I know with Energenie you can get PIR's which wifi link.

There is a switch on my lighting circuit that sends a wire outside the house to the current floodlight.
Sorry my mind was playing tricks, I was envisaging flicking a switch and this automated snake like thing uncoiled its self and plugged its self into a flood light, as it "sends a wire outside".

But in the main we do as @bernardgreen says hard wire lights. And it does not really matter is tungsten, discharge or LED the wiring is the same. Clearly turn off the lighting MCB or RCBO and they do all switch off using same switch. But in the main we want to control groups of lights or single lights, not all, and we want the control where it is convenient.

We don't know where convenient for you, or how the lights are wired now, I can say how it would be done in my house, but that does not really help you.

I am waiting for my son with ladders to fit a new light above my stairs, and this light has so many ways to switch it. This little device DSC_6061.jpg will allow me to use the switch on the landing, switch in the hall, or my phone to turn lights on/off. Today there are 100's of these devices and so many ways to hard wire, the old idea of one system is used in all houses is gone, personally I don't have lights on voice control, when Bill Bailey on TV said "Hay Alexis turn off all lights" I was unaffected, but we have not got a crystal ball, we don't know what you have got already.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back