Running power out to a detached garage?

Sponsored Links
You could get a portable 12v car starter, which has a lamp built in. Keep it plugged in at home, then carry it over to your garage and plug in your inverter. Hey presto - one light and one socket for about £100.

OK, just to answer some of the questions and ideas people have suggested.

I did initially think about running the cable across the houses somewhere near the soffits, and then down to the garage. No one else in my terrace has power to their garages (They only use them for storage), but I'm pretty sure they would be fine with it either way, they are all very easy going, and we get on well with them. Obviously if I was to attached anything to their property I think I would definatley get this agreement down in writing. Just in case.

The idea of 12V car battery with 12V lighting is fine, but im unsure as to how long that would power for, and ideally I would prefer a more "permanent" solution.

Solar is a very nice idea (and I like the green side of it) but its still going to cost a fair whack to install, (and if it costs the same as a wired solution, welll then my "greeness" will go out the window!)

Again 12V Car starter is an idea, but how long is that likely to be able to provide power for?

I think my next step will be to get a few electricians out and see what the quotes are. That way I will be able to decide if its something I can go for.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to hook up some flourescent lighting and be able to just plug them in to a socket (if i was using an extension cable from the house?

Well I have done a fair bit of reading this evening and the previously mentioned solar idea seems quite tempting.

There is quite a good article here http://www.reuk.co.uk/Shed-and-Garage-Solar-Lighting.htm

And the thought of connection up a DIY system doesn't actually seem too bad.

My main concern with solar panel lighting is that it will not be bright enough. Now if I was to go the route of a DIY installation then I suppose I could add as much lighting as needed.

Has anyone got any experience or witnessed a garage lit by solar lighting?

Also this would still give the option of an inverter and a socket.

Any thoughts on this appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Before you spend too much, I advise the following:

1) If you're going to use LEDs, get one of the sort you'd use and try it out at home powered with a transformer or the battery from your car and see how well it works.

2) Get some figures from the makers on how much energy the PV panels produce on an overcast winter's day.

Basically I'm skeptical that an £80 PV system is going to be any good.

And it's notifiable, BTW, if you worry about that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back