Running power out to a detached garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
planyp8.jpg

I want to get some power to my detached garage, please see my rather crude plan above!

Now as I understand, the preferred option would be to have a seperate mains running from my fusebox (in the house) out to the garage where there would be a small distribution board splitting the lights and sockets.

Based on the diagram, what would be the best way of running the cable out to the garage? The front of the house is all a shared off road area and woudl not really be possible to lay a cable under the ground.

Is it possible to run a cable in some kind of amoured trunking out from the garden and along the back brick wall (pathway) straight to the back of the garage?

Any thoughts ideas on tackling this???

Sponsored Links
Portable_Gasoline_Generator.jpg

other suppliers of generators are available.

i dont know what the correct legal term is, but who are you to run a cable across some one elses property (as in the wall)

and do you own the garage?

Not particularly keen on a generator due to the noise.

If I was able to run the cable out the back, then I would not be cutting across anyones property.

The plan doesn't really show it that well, but there is a brick wall about 6 ft tall running along the back of our garden, along a (rarely used) pathway all the way to the garages.

And yes I do own the garage! :)

could run a 3core armoured along the wall but the who does the wall belong too? and its gunna start and get expensive with armoured cable when you include glands and cable and time and cleats etc.

Sponsored Links
Im too sure about the legalities of the wall, will have to look into that, it does form the back wall of our garden but not sure about the rest of it?

I would like power in there, but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount, as its mainly for lighting and a few sockets to basically charge drills etc.

My only other thought was to wire in some lights and just plug them into an extension that I would run from the house whenever I was going in there. (and then obviously remove the extension when I've finished.)

the extension would be the cheaper way of doing it.
if you want permanent power in there use 3core armoured and the propper glands and cleats.

could run a 3core armoured along the wall but the who does the wall belong too? and its gunna start and get expensive with armoured cable when you include glands and cable and time and cleats etc.
It costs what it costs - it must be properly done, not bodged to save money.

Im too sure about the legalities of the wall, will have to look into that, it does form the back wall of our garden but not sure about the rest of it?
You won't forget the legalities of notification, and doing it safely, will you...

How would you get the cable through the house, and along the garden to the wall?

How long is the total run from the consumer unit to the garage?

What type of supply do you have? (see //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:earthing-arrangements)

What type of CU do you have? Fuses? MCBs? Is there an RCD?

Are there any extraneous-conductive-parts in the garage?

My only other thought was to wire in some lights and just plug them into an extension that I would run from the house whenever I was going in there.
Chafing hazard for the cable.

Tripping hazard for other residents.

Length may be a problem.

It costs what it costs - it must be properly done, not bodged to save money.

I understand that, and accept that, what I meant was that if it would cost a huge amount then it might not be worth it due to the use I would get out of it.

You won't forget the legalities of notification, and doing it safely, will you...

Of course not ! :D I would be getting someone in to do it, and would obviously comply with any legal regulations.

How would you get the cable through the house, and along the garden to the wall?

Not sure through the house, but in the garden it could be either dug in or run along our side wall.

How long is the total run from the consumer unit to the garage?
Not actually measured it yet, but would take a punt at approx 30 meters (going the back way)

What type of supply do you have?
Im pretty sure its a TN-C-S

Consumer unit has fuses, (its an old one) No RCD from what I can tell, and also No extraneous conductive parts to the garage.

Chafing hazard for the cable.

Tripping hazard for other residents.

Length may be a problem.

Well the cable wouldn't be out for any long periods of time, I would run it out the back of the house, (rarely used pathway) so would be very unlikely to cause tripping hazard (although cant be ruled out obviously!)

I have run the extension out several times in past for using drills etc in the garage, and have never had any problem.

I would be getting someone in to do it, and would obviously comply with any legal regulations.

..... if it would cost a huge amount then it might not be worth it due to the use I would get out of it.

You seem to have answered your own question then

I have run the extension out several times in past for using drills etc in the garage, and have never had any problem.

They had similar thoughts about the Titanic, "impossible to sink"

from what you have said you want to use it for , a light and a socket to charge some tools, its not worth it at all, keep the toools indoors, that way no one will want to break into the garage, and if they do there will be no lights for them to see with

Not particularly keen on a generator due to the noise.
i dont really know anything about generators but i suspect it goeas something like this:

Diesel -noisey but cheapest to run
2 stroke petrol -cheapest to buy but noisey
4 stroke petrol -much quieter

I think you can also get noise reducing covers, dont know how good these are or if they just make it overheat.

you could consider 12V car battery and 12v florescent lights for some lighting for times when its not worth firing up the generator.

They had similar thoughts about the Titanic, "impossible to sink"
And I expect there are people out and about today who'll be scoffing down a Double Whopper with cheese and then having a fag who've never had any heart attacks....

To be honest it probably won't be worth doing if it's a great length unless you are absolutely desperate for mains light in the garage. If your current installation isn't upto standard then you could potentially need to upgrade the CU before even starting with power to the garage.

sm1thson said:
you could consider 12V car battery and 12v florescent lights for some lighting for times when its not worth firing up the generator.
If this is possible then it would make a lot more sense.

Do any of the other garages have power to them? If so maybe you could strike some sort of agreement with their owners...maybe...maybe not... :LOL:

I can understand why you wouldn't want to run a generator, it's really not an economical way of charging drill batteries and such, and I wouldn't want to leave it running unattended. Of course, you could always bring the chargers and batteries into your house.

If you talk to your neighbours and they are happy for a cable to run on what may or may not be their wall then I can't see any legality issues for the time being, although not sure what happens if/when they move out. If you're going to employ an electrician to carry out the work then you might as well call at least a couple and ask for quotes, there's no harm in doing so. Make sure they are members of a self certification scheme!

Length may be a problem.

We've all been there.

Solar panel on the garage roof, large leisure battery and an inverter might be an idea?

Would be enough to power the occasional light and drill charger, the only difficulty would be timing the inverter to switch off once the drills were recharged.

You're still probably looking at a few hundred quid though, to do it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back