Running waste into soil pipe - problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there!

I am running a new 40mm waste from a shower. The plan is to run it into the side boss into the soil pipe.

It all seemed so simple. Drill out the boss, pop in the 40mm adaptor. Job done.

BUT, now it seems that the profile of the boss moulding has been shaved back and I am concerned that there will not be enough depth to support the rubber adaptor and (or) the adaptor will go too far into the soil pipe which may cause blocks in the future. See picture.

In your opinion, will I be OK putting the waste in there, or is there another way that you experts know about?

Thanks for your advice.

View media item 42870 View media item 42869

Sponsored Links
Does anything feed into that junction from above or does it just go to a vent/AAV?

Can't really tell if the flooring is wood or screed either way I would remove it and fit a bigboss adaptor to it with a mf elbow or connect to the rear of the pipe? As said that point of entry has long gone how you want to do it, how high is the waste gunna be two foot if you go into the branch?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input. Not looking so great then .

A further out pic that might answer some questions.

View media item 42871
Floor is timber, and everything is pretty well squeezed in with joists as you can see.
The vertical is the soil stack that is vented through the roof.
To the left there is 110mm soil from a WC (see pic)
From the other side of the stack is the waste from bath #2
The 110mm soil to the right takes waste from a WC and there are strap on bosses for waste from two sinks.

There is an (intact and unused) boss at the left hand side of that assembly but it is right up against the end of that joist. So I think that is a no go option. If I did use that then the shower wast would have to do a 180° turn and i would rather not do that..

you might - just - get another strap on boss between the existing one and the start of the branch . There`s only one way to find out ;)

Although there's little left of the boss there might be enough to use a solvent boss adaptor. Less likely to 'shift' than a rubber one.

An option, but I'd not like to risk it. Your choice.

PPSSW80.jpg

I would probably drill it out and glue a 2 part boss in.

Really don't think it's a suitable fitting for a DIYer or wannabee plumber.

you might - just - get another strap on boss between the existing one and the start of the branch . There`s only one way to find out ;)

I did look at that. Its only 50mm between the other strap on boss and the socket. The flange on the strap ons is 60mm+.

Gloom

May look at doitall/Carnwood's suggestion of solvent glue a boss in there but may have to bite the bullet and have a plumber take responsibility of doing that ;)

I do have a very last chance option:
The soil pipe goes down (like they do!).
In the room underneath is my recently decorated living room but its a stud wall. I could cut an opening in the plasterboard and access the down soil pipe from there. There's probably enough room for me to get a strap on boss down there and run 40mm up an into the shower room floor.
I'd get a better fall on the shower waste that way too. Are there any plumbing issues with doing that?

But SWMBO won't be happy about trashing the living room wall....... :(

Have a look at the Terrain two part waste boss, code 112-4-15

You'll also need the clamping tool.

The boss actually welds to the side of the pipe and clamps together, with some care cleaning, I reckon it could work.

But could also go wrong for someone thats not the brightest tool in the box..

Have a look at the Terrain two part waste boss, code 112-4-15

You'll also need the clamping tool.

The boss actually welds to the side of the pipe and clamps together, with some care cleaning, I reckon it could work.

But could also go wrong for someone thats not the brightest tool in the box..

Like to think I'm pretty useful in the spanner dept, although I'm an electrician really (sorry). But I know when to call in the cavalry if needed. Don't want anything to leak under all those expensive -electrically heated- tiles....

Have just looked at the profile where the sawn off boss is situated.
The entry from the right hand side means that here isn't a smooth round profile to fit a 2-part boss just there. Maybe a self-locking boss socket 122.4.15 might work?

I'm gonna have a large beer, maybe three. Want to join me?
Thanks for any other DIY suggestions

The 122 would be too big.

You would need to file the old boss right off, then position the 112 for best fit, slightly higher than half the old, I would suggest

Mac Alpine have a new boss fitting, Thats very easy to fit, it just needs a 57mm hole cutting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back