running waste pipes along outside walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I would like some advice please. I have had a plumber that started a few jobs on a house I am renovating. There was no upstairs loo, but one downstairs at the end of the house at the end of the kitchen. The plumber has put the soil pipe into the wall upstairs for the new loo and run it along the wall with the idea being that this can T into the downstairs loo. In order to do this it has to run along about 2 metres and have a 90 degree bend, run down then have another 90 degree into the wall to go back and T into the downstair loo pipe. The plumber is off the job as he took the michael with day rates...I know big mistake. I have since had a few plumbers round to quote and one has said this soil pipe wont work and needs to go down, underground to join the main waste drain. However, he said he doesnt do underground work so I would have to sort it myself. I am now concerned about the best way to do this. Does it really need to go underground, are two 90 degree bends a really bad idea?
thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to picture what your descibing. It's sounds a bodge. Ideally you should avoid bends in the wet part of your stack as this can cause loss of trap seals, though I'm not sure if this is what your describing. Maybe some piccy's will help

Underground is the correct method. You need a connection from a suitable point on the existing drain to the external wall of the property in the vicinity of the new W.C. From there, a stack fitting to accept the soil from the new W.C., stack then needs to vent at roof level.

Whilst the affair your 'plumber' has constructed may work initially, I can see it causing problems given time with possible smells and/or blockages. It is certainly not a very clever method in my book, and sounds like the work of a complete cowboy. If you're near NN10 and need a second opinion P.M. me, I should be able to take a look for you.

Sponsored Links
thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

"Huge Jaleak" thanks for popping round to take a look it was appreciated!
:D
Think if I want to do it properly I will get the soil pipe run into the ground, I just wish I had never met the cowboy...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back