Running water noise in CH pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have been in my home for around a year now, and when we originally moved in there was a worchester bosch greenstar Ri boiler.

In my bedroom cupboard the boiler is positioned, along with a large hot water tank below it and then above in the loft an expansion and cold water tank.

The pipework next to the boiler and 3 way valve has a WILO PICO pump with a red switch.

around 1 week ago, an external system drain end broke off (to which we lost a lot of water).

The drain end was replaced and all the radiators in the house were bled.

Since we have lost water in the system (when my hive active heating is set to only heat the water) it sounds like a running tap noise around the wilo pump.

When the heating is on (on the hive) the noise is not bad at all (almost silent).

This is driving me mad now, the pump is set to setting 2 but I see there is no bleed screw but a bubble air setting on the red switch.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be and why it is making this noise?

thank you!

Sponsored Links
Very common for bits of air to be trapped after a refill. I believe that pump has a bleed setting on the rotary switch- have a look at the instructions for how it works. Also check the boiler instructions, see if there is a bleed valve at the top of that. And check the primaries on the cylinder, might find vents or bleed valves on them

Sponsored Links
Very common for bits of air to be trapped after a refill. I believe that pump has a bleed setting on the rotary switch- have a look at the instructions for how it works. Also check the boiler instructions, see if there is a bleed valve at the top of that. And check the primaries on the cylinder, might find vents or bleed valves on them
Thank you, should I bleed the pump with the heating and hot water set to heat? Since the pump will only come on when they are on.

Ah that's annoying- yes if I remember correctly it goes through a bleed sequence so it needs power. Depending on how your system is wired you may still get the pump running if you turn the boiler off (not at the socket or fcu, use the on/off button on the boiler itself) and call for heat from the controller.
If that doesn't work then let the system cool down, set the dial to bleed, fire it up, watch til the pump display tells you it's finished, remove call for heat, set pump back to whatever it was set at

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back