Running water to summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am currently digging a 30 meter ditch to the bottom of my garden to the summerhouse. I am intending to put a 16mm armoured cable in it.

BUT one of my friends suggested putting in a water pipe at the same time (and he is getting it for me ... blue something or other).

My questions, if you would be so kind answering them are
1) How deep does the pipe (practically) have to be buried as not to freeze ?
2) I'm presuming I can run it in the same ditch as the armoured cable ?

3) Where it comes out the groung to run into the summerhouse it will be exposed for about 30-50cm (distance between ground and summerhouse) Im presuming this might freeze in winter (is there something to wrap around it to insolate it ?

Many thanks

Ky

Sponsored Links
would have though 12 inches is going to be failry safe as you would need several weeks of harsh frost to reach that depth

but only a guess ;)

Following the very hard winter of 1962-63 the failure of many buried water mains caused a rapid rethink of the minimum depth it is now a requirement that water supply pipes are buried at a depth of 1M

Sponsored Links
Can I also ask at what depth are you burying the cable and what precautions are you taking concerning the protection against damage.

Cable is going it at 18 inches (in sand) with the electrical warning tape ... this part me and my sparky have covered ... its the water pipe that has me flumixed

Can anyone tell me once the pipe comes out of the ground towards the summerhouse if there is a product to insolate it

thanks

Unless anything has changed the Water Regulations 1999 still require underground water mains to be at a minimum of 750 mm.

When the pipe comes up it has to be insulated as well as protected from attack by rhodents.

Tony

Can you tell me what i use to insulate it ? and protect from rats etc ?

thanks

ky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back