Running without inhibitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I was just wondering what best practice is regarding the number of times you should empty the system and fill it up without inhibitor. That is to say, I've been installing a rad valve, filling the system and running it to test for leaks then doing the same again. I know each time it will add more scale to everything and a bit of corrosion presumably, but I don't think I can handle more than leak at a time (not being a plumber that is. :)

Sponsored Links
Sorry but the way you are working is about the worst way to treat a system.
As you say each time you change the water you add more scale and more oxygen to create rust/sludge. Ok if you just fill up look for a leak and drain again but if you are running it for a week or so before draining again it is not good.

In the old days ("when we used to push a hand cart from one end of the district to the other, plumbers don't know they are born these days" :D) nobody put additives in and systems lasted for years because once the oxygen and scale in the water was used up, providing the system was well installed it could not make more.

Be brave and hit all the leaks in one go! You can then put in additive and settle back to bask in your achevement :D

Good luck,
footprints

All these DIYers we read about here are often doing the worst thing possible!

Some even drain and refill to "get rid of air" in the system.

The trick is to drain the MINIMUM necessary to do the job!

Leave as many rads full as possible because the inhibitor in the water is then saved!

Many countries don't use inhibitor, like Germany for example. They just ensure its clean!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'd better put my brave pants on then.
Cheers
M.

Add the inhibitor and run it until you are ready to do any work, then close the rad valves (both sides) before you drain down thus saving most (depending on volume) of your inhibitor

....untill you have a massive house, with occupied rooms and knackered rad valves...!

Why should he have knackered rad valves ?

Because it sounds like he's got a old leaky system, so it's bound to have seized valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back