Running

Sponsored Links
I used to run during my school years, mostly cross-country, and definitely no training out of school.
I considered myself 'naturally fit' during my twenties, even up to my late thirties when just keeping up with the children seemed to be enough. I did a 1/2 marathon in my fourties, after joining a gym. I remember having to stop for a pee after about 8 miles, then feeling like the front of my thighs had been hit with a baseball bat. I hobbled on, to finish in an agonising 2 hr 0 mins 09 seconds. Determined to beat 2 hours the next year I didn't stop ferra pee and came in at 1 hr 46, and thus my HM career came to an end.

Introduced to Parkrun (5k) by my daughter in about 2013, I had to stop several times to catch my breath, but the timed run awoke a competitive gene in me, and I now do regular Parkruns, with a PB (2019) of 21:40. Would love to beat 20mins, but age has caught up. What I do like about running in a timed event is that the faster I go, the better the quality of girlie arris I get to follow.
Can't say I'm a fan of the Parkrun heirarchy though, it seems to be run by pseudo-nazis.

Nowadays it's a midweek 5 or 6 miles with the local Hash House Harriers group, and a Parkrun (or Barkrun with the dog) on a Saturday morning.

Sponsored Links
Back