Rushing water sound when system is hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's my problem

When my heating has been running for 50 mins or so I can here a noise of water rushing to the boiler and the Wilo pump is making a sort of gurgling noise.
This only happens after an hour of the system being run.

Any ideas ? Is it just air ? Do I need to do anything or will solve its self ?

If it makes any difference, I've just had the flow valve on the heating replaced as the old one wouldn't close when the boiler timer switched off. The plumber drained the upstairs only and I bled the upstairs rads 2 days ago.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Take it it's a vented system ?
Sounds like the systems not filling with water poss cold feed from f/e restricted/blocked.

Yep, open vented system

What could cause the feed from the f and e to be restricted ?
Any particular reason why I only get the noise when the system has been running for an hour or so ?

The cold feed can get sludge/crud built up from system corrosion over the yrs and go's hard and restricts/blocks the pipe.

Deposits20on20wall20of2015mm20pipe.jpg

check the f/e tank when it happens is it pumping over the vent pipe or is the water in f/e warm/hot ?
run a magnet over the cold feed area where it joins the system pipework, does it stick ?

Sponsored Links
Ill have a look in the f and e tomorrow. I've felt the expansion pipe and its only slightly warm as it goes up into the loft.

The house is only 2 years old, surely the feed can't get sludged up so quickly ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back