Rust stains in painted concrete front steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some concrete front steps and had some nice tiles put on them. I think the guy used metal trim or something because we have since had rust stains come thru the exterior paint (see pics). We got some stuff we were told would seal it but not only did it not seal it but also didn't dry like it said it would and ran onto the steps themselves in one corner - so my questions are:

Any idea how/if I can get the white "sealer" off the tiles where it has run (pic 1)? The tiles are pretty hardy but not sure if it might scrub, scratch or burn off?

What can we use/do to remove or cover permanently and then avoid future rust stains so we can overpaint with the colour of our choice?

Many thanks,
M

Attachments

• 20231020_121442.jpg
    20231020_121442.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231020_121428.jpg
    20231020_121428.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231020_121405.jpg
    20231020_121405.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Thicker paints that can cover stuff are oil paint, oil primer, and oil flat door step paint. I have no experience, but you can experiment. Apply primer, apply the cover paint, apply primer, then apply your preferred top coat. Apply as many coats in each step as necessary. Water/moisture is getting to the metal corner beads. Unless you are able to seal them, the problem will persist. One possible source of water is water going over the tile edge. Then it goes under the tile. Grouts are said to be not water proof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back