Rusted plughole on enamel bath - how can I deal with it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

On my enamel bath, there is rust round the plughole. The plumber has considered putting in a bigger metal plughole to cover the rust but I'm concerned that the rust may deteriorate underneath this or that the new plughole will put too much pressure on the rust.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? Are there any long-term problems with this rust?

Is there anything, some substance perhaps, I can use to treat the rust?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Any suggestions would be welcomed. I'm worried about damaging the bath further.

sounds like you`ve got a good 0ld-school plumber who offers suggestions to fit your budget.......let him have a go and treat him well ;) worst case scenario .........buy a whole suite for under £200 from a diy outlet

Sponsored Links
The problem is I've swapped the bath and basin around and tiled the bathroom now with the enamel bath in place. I can't get rid of the bath.

Is there anything I can do to protect the rust? Is it enough to cover it with a larger plughole or can I try anything else? Maybe apply something directly to the rust..?

Nige F, sorry I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic about the plumber. Do you think the plumber's suggestion is a good one?

You might try scraping away as much of the rust as you can, to get down to the metal, with a tiny wire brush (a rotary one in a dremel or small drill/screwdriver works well), then treating it with "Kurust" which can buy at any Motor Accessories shop, and a coat of enamel (e.g. Humbrol that you can buy at Halfords, Model-makers shops or DIY sheds in a wide range of colours). That will discourage the rust from spreading. You need both threatments. Give it a couple of days to harden fully before fitting the new waste. The surface will not be quite as flat and smooth as before because the rust will have pitted it but I expect your plumber will use extra sealant.

If it is a pressed steel bath, not an iron one, then it has very little thickness to accomodate the rust damage, so you might as well get used to idea of replacing it. "Can't get rid of the bath" really means "Would prefer not to get rid of the bath." When it leaks enough water through the floor, making it rot, and the ceiling below, making it fall down, then you'll find "Can't" wasn't true.

Bath "re-enamellers" I've seen, scrape it, fill the enamel with a 2 part epoxy filler (like car body filler), sand it smooth then put their coating on top. I've asked a couple if they have trouble - apparently not. Those would be cast iron baths of course.

Don't use the acid-smelling silicones near it, so you would need a "neutral cure" one which has the (vital) anti-mould additive. I'm not sure one exists though.

If you use a larger-flanged waste, you're likely to trap water so the bath doesn't quite empty.

My CI bath had rust in the same place when we moved in. I scraped it and put white metal primer on it. It got only slightly worse in the many years before we smashed the bath up!

scolear said:
The problem is I've swapped the bath and basin around and tiled the bathroom now with the enamel bath in place. I can't get rid of the bath.

Is there anything I can do to protect the rust? Is it enough to cover it with a larger plughole or can I try anything else? Maybe apply something directly to the rust..?

Nige F, sorry I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic about the plumber. Do you think the plumber's suggestion is a good one?
Yes definately.............you`d know if I was being sarcastic :LOL: I usually leave that for BG gas fitters ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back