Rusty wingnuts on cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the syphon on my cistern but the wingnuts are rusted to the threaded lengths of fixing bolt. Are there any tricks to removing the wing nuts without snapping them off? I've sprayed lubricating fluid and left to soak in but they won't budge :confused:

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a new close coupling kit,
use brute force, if they snap off all the better, welcome to the wonderful world of Plumbing!!!

Hmmmm.......I've had another go but the 'wings' seem to be bending when I apply pressure to them :eek:

Sponsored Links
Cut them off - any way you can. Just check that they don't pass through the cistern itself first though. If they don't, arm yourself with a new close couple kit.
John :)

keep on bending, then hacksaw or pad saw or.......a junior hacksaw! :LOL:

As five or six other people have already said, you'll probably need to cut them off. However, which lubrication fluid(s) have you tried? A good squirt of PlusGas will free off many a seized part, especially if you can work it back and forward a turn or so to get the fluid into the threads.

It wouldn't be the first time I've had to pull the whole loo forward to get a grinder in.....ridiculous :evil:
Replace with stainless stuff!
John :)

Sledgehammer + new close coupled cistern & pan. Worst case scenario always the first thing to consider...but turn the water off first.

DREMEL with a cutting disc :idea: P.S all the other answers were from GAS fitters :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back