RW45 or r R5 sound insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Reading about acoustic insulation between ground floor and first floor joists and not sure how much of an actual improvement R5 is over RW45.
I can see on paper the kg cubed but in reality would it be worth it for a domestic dwelling of TV and general talking?

Also would 100mm RW45 be better than 50mm r5?

Thanks for any help
Jon

Sponsored Links
burgensteen, Good evening.

OK I am old Skool? when it comes to sound proofing especially between ground and first floors.

Suggest you have a look at the various threads posted previously on the board [have a look at the "Similar Threads" directly below] there is a load of unbiased information in there, I think that there are several posts about fitting the type of Sound insulation you are considering.

My preference would be to have a look at " Quietex" ?

When I was at College, the Lecturers were adamant that mass [Weight] is the best form of prevention of sound transfer between floors, if you consider it, Georgian and Victorian properties all had Ash Deafening installed between the different floors. I has worked for years, effectively?

If you are embarking on a new build, or a major make over then I would seriously consider Quietex?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back