Ryobi petrol strimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a relatively new Ryobi petrol strimmer.
The engine runs well,but doesn’t turn the head fast enough to cut anything.
Any suggestions,gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine Chris that the flexible drive that connects the engine to the line spool has fractured.
Any chance of you removing the spool to check?
Take the inner spool out and there should be a hexagonal nut which you undo. Some have a left hand thread.
John :)

Thanks for feedback,John.Will check out flexible drive,but would have thought if fractured, head would not turn at all?
Head spins ,but not at sufficient speed to cut.

Sponsored Links
I guess this is a bent shaft machine (strimmer) rather than a straight shaft (brushcutter)?
If so, the shaft inside is flexible, rather like a thick Bowden cable with squared off ends, which locate at the engine end and spool end. If the spool comes loose it can disengage the drive cable but still sort of spin, likewise at the engine end. I'd doubt if this machine has a centrifugal clutch which allows the engine to run at low speeds without spinning the spool but if it has, failure of this is possible but most unlikely.
First things first though, look for chewed up plastic when you dismantle the spool.....sometimes bump fed line machines can lose the plastic spline inside.
Good luck with it!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back