Cutting these edges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a Ryobi multi thingee with strimmer head but when the cord comes off a new bit doesn't come through. Can u cut edges of grass butting up to walls with shears?
DSC_0420.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0418.JPG
    DSC_0418.JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
My flymo does the same
Shears would be a pain.
Get some brick pavers and add them along the side of the house lengthways

Sort out the strimmer head, it's the best way to do edges believe me; but do it gently and carefully otherwise you'll go through the strimming wire like anything.

Sponsored Links
Try a nylon cable tie instead of the trimmer line- trim to length with scissors

on my ryobi strimmer you just bump on the ground whilst running to feed out the cord

I had an old Black and Decker Command Feed strimmer years ago, the spool was in the front handle and you just clicked it with your thumb to release more line.

Really easy to use but alas you can't buy them new now unfortunately..

These safety glasses seem adequate enough?j
DSC_0441.JPG
DSC_0433.JPG

As u can see I took out a bit of the lawn. Is there a technique u can use to A) not touch wall and waste line B,) Not damage grass?

I used a clearance strimmer before. It was so much easier to control than this type

Won't it snap?
now and again, but I have used the shield as a guide against a wall to get the correct distance

There is a "hack" video on youtube where a guy bends a metal bar, welds it up, and fits an angle grinder to make a strimmer
apart from the fact that a strimmer is cheap, I wouldn't go near an "angle grinder on a stick"

In my experience the strimmer will be more gentle on the grass and will wear the line much less quickly against the wall if you don't use full throttle. It is surprising how slowly you can spin the strimmer whilst still being able to cut the grass effectively. You do need to spin it fast enough to straighten the line though. One of those things where plenty of practice is required.

I wouldn't use anything stronger than a strimmer wire around your electrical and gas meter boxes/pipes - mixing such with that angle grinder idea could be disastrous :eek:. Practice with the strimmer is the answer, and accept the fact that strimmer wire wears down - its a pain-in-the-butt part of life I guess. Nice looking strimmer by the way - I'd happily swap it for my auto-feeding £30 Black & Decker effort ;)

Edit - I see your's is supposedly auto-feed... maybe the wire is wound the wrong way? (I did this and it didn't feed)

Not only the gas meter but there are virgin media cables which previous gardener cut. I was thinking protecting the cables with a plastic tube or something
DSC_0422.JPG
DSC_0421.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back