Ryobi Strimming Locked Pull Cable!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Ryobi strimmer (RLT30CET).

The issue is that I am unable to start it from the pull cable, as I pulled it a few times and then it locked. I took it apart thinking it was a tangled cable, which it isn't!. It would appear that the two metal pieces are locking it from being pulled out, although it does retract OK.

Welcome any suggestions/advice.

Attachments

• Ryobi2.jpg
    Ryobi2.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 253
Sponsored Links
Yes, it’s this one. But I need to understand what the issue is and why those metal parts are locking.

Attachments

• 45EA0DE4-1802-49F4-A70A-AEEAFF814510.jpeg
    45EA0DE4-1802-49F4-A70A-AEEAFF814510.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 261
Those metal pieces are part of the recoil starter that engages with the plastic pawl - and there’s a chance it may be damaged now.
This sometimes occurs if the recoil rope is pulled out too far.
The second pic is of the centrifugal clutch that looks fine...to remove it, the central spigot has to be turned in the direction of the arrow. I ground up an old socket to shift these as they are brittle.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, any suggestions on good suppliers for a new one?

I use this site to get the part number I need:
http://www.ryobispares.co.uk/
Then, its into Google to see what's available. Many genuine spares have to be sourced from the States which is expensive but some bits are available as pattern parts.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back