S plan or S plan plus?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im building a new house and my sparky isnt sure about wiring up 2 Nest thermostats with 2 different zone valves with my boiler. Hes had limited experience doing this and he said to buy a pattress with a wiring diagram but surely now everything is online about these things and he said i might be better getting a central heating engineer to install it which i will if he cant do it.

Ive looked online as im sure a sparky could do it with the right guidnce, and it seems i either need an S plan or S plan plus, can anyone advise which one is right and do i just need to buy a wiring box - but what size? how many connections inside?

thanks

Sponsored Links
it is not hard to do,I think you are over complicating things, the nest thermostats control the zone valves and the zone valves tell the boiler when to come on, they are just switches

S plan or S plan plus,
S plan is a system with 2 zone valves, for heating and hot water.
S plan plus is the same thing with a 3rd valve added for an extra heating zone.

The names are just those which Honeywell gave to various wiring arrangements many years ago.
Whether it's 2 valves, 3, 4 or even more, the wiring for each zone is the same, and the basic concept of the thermostat controlling it's own valve is also the same.

Any 10 or 12 terminal wiring centre will be suitable for 3 zones.

he said to buy a pattress with a wiring diagram
If they really need or want that, then you should find someone else.

Basic heating wiring hasn't changed in decades, and as you already noted, the information is readily available online in many places.
Using smart thermostats changes nothing - they are still just basic on/off switches in terms of the wiring.

As above, this is really really simple wiring. If your sparky is struggling to work it out, I'd be seriously questioning his competence and considering replacing him for the entire project.

Sponsored Links
Should always be done by heating engineers. Electricians don’t wire heating systems usually other that supplying a switched fused spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back