S106 payments exempt for self build ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have planning for a self build house and 5 apartments.So 6 units in total.

I am in a rural area, so am being asked to pay a social housing contribution as over 5 units

As one of the units is a self build does this exempt me from social housing contributions?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, I read in 2014 the Govt changed the law so self builds were exempt from social housing payments.Is this actually correct ?

I have a year left before the planning runs out.Yes I was thinking of splitting up the plot, and giving the self build plot a separate title.I have to build that one first though.

I am now considering changing my planning to have one house as an HMO as opposed to converting to 3 flats, so then just one new self build house and 2 semi bungalows to build.

I will need to re apply, which I think at least gives me another 3 years till I have to start building.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I thought the self build exemption applied to the Community Infrastructure Levy and the exemption has to be applied for at the time of the planning application, the exemption cannot be applied retrospectively.

Thank you, that makes sense.

I have more or less decided to re apply for less units now, having spend a few days costing it all out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back