S2 adhesive - slow set?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to buy slow set tile adhesive?

I’ve got 150m2 of 800x800 tiles plus more bathrooms to do and need to order it for my builders.

also What’s difference between grey and white adhesive?

thx.

Sponsored Links
Plenty of slow set adhesives around, not quite so many S2 slow set though. Your builders should really be sourcing and using an adhesive that is suitable and they are happy using. No real difference in performance with grey and white adhesive, white tends to be used with light coloured tiles where there is a risk of the colour bleeding through or showing on the surface of the tiles, e.g. travertine.

I will be needing at least 60-70 bags of adhesive and the builder suggested S2 for strength for the floor tiles cover 150m2 and whilst not needed on the walls i.e. S1 is sufficient I see what I can get S2 Ultra tile fix for £16.99 online. But the same builder also told me not to get fast setting adhesive, so seems the statement seems to be add odds!

who is doing the work?

for that area surely a pro tiler is doing the work -in which case ask him, tilers are likely to prefer certain adhesives and may have a favorite Mapei or BAL they prefer.

maybe it needs to be flexible

what is the substrate, do you have underfloor heating?, is there a ditra mat?

dont rely on the builder telling you.

Sponsored Links
yes i've already bought the ditra mat for ground floor secreed with wet UFH and 800x800 tiles to go down.
I've got all round builders who are doing the work. Plumbing, tiling, decorating, etc. They've been doing this for 15 years, I've seen the quality of their work (I dont want to turn this into a discussion about someone doing someone else's profession). Gas boilers by gas safety engineer and electrical being signed-off by a qualified electrician.

S2 offers more flexibility as you suggest which is what I want but trying to find slow setting S2 is what Im now after.

Thx.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back