S53 Code on Vaillant ECOTec plus 428- 28KW Boiler

This is new information to me, thanks for the advise

What sort of system to heat hot water and rads should be used with boilers above 28kw

Should single way intendant valves be fitted or another layout.

Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
It's possibly worth pointing out that a Y plan system using a domestic 3 port valve was never designed to be used on a 38Kw boiler- - - - because of the small passages for water flow.

Honeywell recommend a max boiler output of around 28Kw for a Y plan set up.

use a 28mm mpv instead.

Oh Ok i see what your saying this will increase the flow.

Well touch wood since i have turned the boiler down to 30kw it seems to be running like a dream so i will keep you all updated on any new issues i discover.

I just need to get the inhibitor in it now.

Next Job.

heat carrying capacity of a 22mm 3port valve(yplan) is about 60000btu afair.

Sponsored Links
When wil people learn that the 3 options for removing s53 from these products have sweet fa to do with balancing,they are

down rate boiler in d0
increase pump speed
fit bigger pump.

428 running 28 kw,would expect 25-60 minimum for pump size.

15-60 only good upto about 20-24 on these products.

Agree with dave on the cylinder valve,not required for fast recovery.Tony I'd suggest you read bs6700 to learn about recovery times,temperatures and relation to heat input.

When wil people learn that the 3 options for removing s53 from these products have sweet fa to do with balancing,they are

down rate boiler in d0
increase pump speed
fit bigger pump.

428 running 28 kw,would expect 25-60 minimum for pump size.

15-60 only good upto about 20-24 on these products.

Agree with dave on the cylinder valve,not required for fast recovery.Tony I'd suggest you read bs6700 to learn about recovery times,temperatures and relation to heat input.

I agree it has been done to death on this forum time and time again. :rolleyes:

Icgs, I started a post an above boiler in CC. 28kw using 15/50 pump.

With 15/ 50 pump the lockshields are hardly open. God only knows what micro setting one would have to apply to said valve if a powerstation pump is fitted.

I have logged flow and return temperatures over 15 minutes to 'see' what the delta t is for HW as well as heating (averaged 19 degrees C). If the 15/ 50 pump were indeed underpowered for the installation, surely the lockshields would be just about fully open instead of hardly open.

Both heating and hot water are taken care of with boiler at full 28kw output.

I have yet to be convinced bigger pump, downsizing boiler out or bringing F&E closer to the boiler is the answer

Ok,have you calculated the index circuit of your particular installation.
Have you looked at the curve in the mi's stating the kpa of the boiler hex.
Have you then compared this to the performance graph of your
pump,looked inrelation to the flow required for the heatoutput.

All those things come into play on this product or have you picked a pump at random and just been lucky.fault normally occurs on heating only.Now I'd you'd proven that the index and boiler resistance are outside of the pumps capabilities but still operates succesfully then I'd be more inclined to pay alittle more attention.monitoring the temps with no relation to figures unfortunately in this case means nothing except in your particular un quantified setup your choice of pump
is capable.

I base my experience on fitting nearly 60 of this series boilers and only ever having one issue(caused by a Vaillant service engineer).

How strange that my 3 points are exactly that that would be done by a group service eng or an approved service engineer.

I also posted the link in the cc to a boring 10 page thread that proved bigger pump required,this one seems to be solved by down rating,all we need now is one that's done by pump speed.still not seen one solved by balancing alone.

The fault is not with Te product it's that people have no idea how to size a heating installation correctly,then the blind lead the blind arguing over balancing.

"Ok,have you calculated the index circuit of your particular installation.
Have you looked at the curve in the mi's stating the kpa of the boiler hex.
Have you then compared this to the performance graph of your
pump,looked inrelation to the flow required for the heatoutput"

I don't know why but i don't think my installer was working at this sort of level of evaluation or experience especially with this specific make of boiler. I may be incorrect but who knows.

I think he was more familiar with Baxi Combi systems, but hay thats life i guess.

Mine is working fine Currently ( Just a lot of DIY adjusting )

438 Eco Tec
set to 30kw
2 Pumps
18 Rads double and single mixture
22mm Y Plan Valve
140 time clock
vr65 controller

Because it matches EXACTLY both the boiler and fault scenario for a job I looked at today, I've revived this old thread.

In today's case, the boiler was installed in late March 2010, to replace a cast-iron floor-mounted type, of about the same output (28 - 30kW). It's apparently never worked properly and every man and his dog, including Vaillant, have looked at it, tinkered in various ways but failed to solve the problem. The system included mostly old rads and pipework and WAS open-vented. It was Power-flushed in an effort to fix the S53 / no heat problem and the owner says she thought the flush actually made it worse! The system water looks pretty clean now but NO evidence of any inhibitor chemical in it (can power-flush companies be SO cynical that they leave a system vulnerable to MORE corrosion in the hope of more work in future - you bet you a*se they can!). The system has also been converted to the sealed type, with a correctly-sized expansion vessel.

Apart from some electrical problems (eg. boiler responds to the room stat irrespective of state of the programmer!) the main problem is that is can never get the rads up to full temperature! The boiler fires, the Flow temperature goes whizzing up, reaches the 16 degree Flow / Return delta-T shut-down point and then overshoots up to around 20 degrees delta-T and the boiler goes to S.53. The problem is that it stays in that state for several minutes (just a timeout, unaffected by falling Flow temperature) and then fires again, and the same cycle repeats ad nauseam. Due to the long S.53 shutdown periods, the Return temperature only creeps up and then levels out at about 38C degrees.

I tried REDUCING the system output (D0 setting) and found that at 16 kW (down from 28kW), the S53 went away and it went into a more normal 16 degree delta-T shutdown - pump overrun - wait awhile - restart cycle. This in turn meant that the boiler was actually running for more of the time and the system started to stagger into life, with some of the rads getting at least a bit hot. The reason for this was that the gentler Flow temperature increase did not cause the overshoot after the delta-T got to 15 - 16 degrees.

My conclusions so far:

1.It's very unfortunate that Vaillant apparently did NOT include any 'ramp-up' logic in the Ecotec software. Other makes (Atag, Viessmann?) limit the burner output so that Flow temperature only rises at 2 or 3 degrees per minute. This would ensure that on a 'big and slow' system, with lots of rads and a big volume of cold water sitting waiting to come down the Return, that the boiler would not go crashing into the S.53 state all the time.

2. This system (21 rads on three floors, plus DHW cylinder, plus underfloor heating in a new extension) is too big for the boiler. Although the available heat output is OK, the boiler has too much internal resistance. As a result, there can NEVER be enough flow through it to keep the Flow to Return delta-T within limits: too much heat will be lost from the rads even when the system is still quite cool, so the Return temperature will probably never exceed 45 degrees! This will stop the boiler whenever the Flow gets to 61 or so, and the boiler will 'hunt' at around those temperatures indefinitely.

3. Far as I can see, the cheapest / best solution is a low-loss header and a second (modulating) pump on the downstream side of it. The existing 15/60 type would be fine as a shunt pump to drive the loop between boiler and header. Once set up that way, the boiler can run up to its proper setpoint quickly without hitting S.53 or high-delta-T conditions.

4. Based on a previous, similar problem with another system (large but not with a Vaillant boiler) I don't think that just fitting a larger pump will fix it. Previously, I found that even with a large pump (Grundfos Magna, driving 5 zones and 25+ rads) the boiler's resistance put the pump curve into the nearly vertical area, so that increasing the pressure could NOT increase the flow. A header DID work for this other system, although there were other, unrelated design issues. Also, if you put a big pump on a high-resistance system, it gets noisy.

Anyone have more / different information to invalidate these conclusions or possibly offer a better solution?

Just suppose, that in a fairytale world...................

of rabbits and hares.......................

there was a magic valve that bypassed about 20% of the boiler flow back to the return..........

then that might raise the return temp to prevent the boiler stopping on a Δ 16°..........................

perhaps the flow temperature might then rise to 72° and perhaps magically by then the return from the system might have reached 56° and the boiler might continue to operate like that if the magic bypass was closed ????????????????????

All these magic things may be possible in wonderland............

Agile! Tsk, tsk. Trolling again....

(As any fule kno, a low loss header IS - or at least behaves like - the 'magic valve' mentioned.)

But before getting into major pipe surgery to find a place to put one and fit it, I wanted to check for ANY alternative. Having talked to Vaillant, unfortunately there is NO parameter that determines the rate of temperature rise when the boiler fires (the Flow 'ramp-up' rate as on the Honeywell MCBA, usually set at around 2 -3 degrees per minute). So since there's nothing to control the rate of rise EXCEPT reducing the output of the boiler (D0 parameter), seems to me a header is the only and best option.

Trolling? After midnight the elves come out ! Stay up one night and see!

In fact that "magic valve" could easily be implemented as a 15mm bypass with a motor valve thermally operated by a simple pipe stat which closes the valve when the flow temperature reaches say 66°.

Of course all these devices are only necessary because the boiler has been designed for a rather standard system and its been discovered that model does not suit larger systems and particularly those with high water content like c.i. rads etc.

The "magic valve" is a very simple possible solution that does not involve a second pump and perhaps a complicated control system.

Tony

Unfortunately, you have a great deal more faith in the effectiveness of bypasses than I do, especially 15mm ones.

The problem here is LOW Return temperature, not runaway Flow temperature. At the various flow rates involved, the contribution of the bypass to the temperature of the Return is minimal.

the more you post agile the more i understand

oh yeah lets replace a low loss header with a bypass
drunk-irish-048.gif

jesus freakin H :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back