Sadolin Classic/Extra and wood preserver question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on coating some bare timber with Sadolin Classic and then finishing with Sadolin extra.
(an outdoor project)

But is it best or not to first use a wood preserver?

And if so what sort would be best? I have some solvent based Cuprinol, but I am also unsure about how long the timber should left if something like that is used before the first Sadolin Classic coat.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Check with Sadolin Technical.

We used Classic on structural timbers that had been Tanalised. No problems and 40 years later the timbers are still in very good condition,

Other wood preservers may not be as compatible as Tanalising

From memory, putting Sadolin straight onto bare wood is not great, as you don't get the colour, and you would need about 20 coats before it starts to look the colour it's supposed to be.

So you may need to be something like a preservative or dye on first.

Thanks for the replies.
I did try the classic straight onto the bare wood to test and it did look a bit 'faded' as regards the colour.
Sadolin had recommended their brand, but then said a non wax based preserver should work.
So I guess I'll do a try out of the cuprinol.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back