safe pond for a school

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as part of a community project we are constructing a pond for a primary school.

we have to make it safe but we don't want to put a fence round it as it will make it less accessible.

any ideas how can put in some anti-drowning device without ruining the look of the pond?

grateful for any suggestions.

by the way, we are forming the pond with timber with a liner inside and decking around the edges. this is because of the location and the materials freely available. also, i hate badly laid crazy paving around the edge of ponds.

Sponsored Links
I think your best bet is to invite your H&S inspector for the school just to cover yourself incase of accident, parents suing etc.

Remember the snow a few months ago they shut down the school incase of accident in playground and parents suing the school and this is sadly the reason.

an inspection will not stop a child falling in, i have no idea of cost but this is very very good

IMHO I think your asking for trouble, we now live in a nanny society, fueled by greedily lawyers. I hope you have lots of insurance cover, as no matter what you build, if little Johnny falls in cos is dad said he can walk on water! his dad will think nothing of suing you :(

Remember the 'Princess Diana' water memorial in the park, some kid slipped after running along the water riveen, fifteen years ago the park would of said "serves the kid right!" What do they do in 2004? They shut the water memorial down for months, and employ security guards to watch it all day :confused:

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
an inspection will not stop a child falling in, i have no idea of cost but this is very very good
That's a good idea and will also stop the cats getting the fish, haven't read it all but must be a bit awkward for the bigger fish.

Those pond grids are a good idea. If you are constructing the pond edges from sleepers you can arrange them to give you a shelf to rest the grid on. I would sugest getting one made locally, to the pond size, maybe with a wider spacing ( as the narrow spacing shown will just encourage the little 'tikes' to walk on it!)

thanks for the ideas guys.

the grid Breezer suggests is just the job, I will get a quote.

As for safety aspects, suing etc, we will make sure we get a disclaimer from the school. But surely, no one would accept a free gift of a pond and then sue the ones that gave it when someone drowns........would they??!!? Come on! What sort of world are we living in?

Yes they would.
And remember to set the gridding at water level, you can drown in less than 2" of water.

i agree with the suing part, as for the grid i believe its "custom made" i read an article about it, (well you could then long time since i read article) you can fit it yourself, and you can adjust its legs.

what ever its cost, it is cheaper than a death

just to finish the story, we went with "safapond" as recommended by breezer.

the kit was good......BUT, some of the components were missing and, on the day we were installing it, no one was available on the help line to report the missing items to or to advise how to get over the problem.

we didn't have enough of the legs so had to miss some out.

i got a reply to the messages i left on the helpline TWO DAYS LATER from the owner's dad, who was manning the office while the main man was on his hols!

i requested safapond to supply the missing items and to send someone to fit them which, to their credit, they did.

so, in summary, good product but, for the price, very dodgy back up service. use with caution!

i disagree entirly, (safeapond has nothing to do with me)

i think you are being very ungrateful

so some kit was missing, yes it not good, but these things happen, you sent an email to the help line and got a reply,

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!

yes it was 2 days later, does it say you get an instant reply? (probably not)
you also said
i requested safapond to supply the missing items and to send someone to fit them which, to their credit, they did.
so again i ask you

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

you say they are good, good product, bad back up service, but you also said they sent some one out when you asked them to, make your mind up

i am sorry but its people like you that give companies a bad name, as you have written it i see you are only moaning and whinging for the sake of it, you yourself said they had a good product, you also said they sent some one out to replace the missing bits, so that goes to show you are moaning about nothing.

in case any one is wondering, no ireally havent got anything to do with safepaond in any way what so ever. The reason i feel so strongly is simple.

I have a website and people email in and do they read the instructions? NO, they then get the hump becuse we then have to ask them the questions they didnt answer in the first place, my point is did safeapond say they offer instant service? I bet not, but if poster had read site it would say either way, and all he is doing now is whinging for the sake of it, the email was replied to wasn't it? he got his missing bits supplied and fitted (which he even said was to their credit) so why moan about a poor back up service which you then go on to say isn't a poor back up service at all?

you are just whinging for the sake of it, so one more time

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

(190)

The only safe pond for children is one filled with sand. ;)

Would you close all the roads as well and ban glass windows etc.
You can't take all danger away you can only do your best to protect.
Ponds are great and very educational so long as they are made as safe as possible and that means putting something over the top to prevent youngsters from coming into contact with the water.

legit said:
You can't take all danger away you can only do your best to protect.

And a pond filled with sand IS the best protection, especially for young children. Children are very inquisitive and even if there is a cover, they will find a way through, accidentally or purposefully. IMO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back