Safe to walk on double glazed roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a quick question. Apologies if wrong section but I thought roofing might be my best bet.

I've got to strip back, treat and repaint some weatherboard on my house. One particular section is above an extension with a double glazed glass roof that joins onto the old out building which measures about 2m by 4m. It is one large panel sat on top of the beams.
It hasn't been done since before the previous owners did the extension so I don't think they thought about access. It would be nigh on impossible to get a scaffold tower up and over the roof due to the lay of the land/neighbours property.

So my only option is to go onto the glass roof. My plan was to put a tarp down to protect the glass, then lay scaffold boards across the glass, perpendicular to the beams to spread the weight. Then a sheet of ply across the boards. It would only be my weight up there (about 90kg) and a ladder.

Would the above set up be safe/doable? Last thing I want is to crack/damage the glass roof or go through it myself.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
If you cant get some long staging boards to bridge the glass somehow, or take some of the glazing units out ....

You would normally prop the supporting joists from the room below.

Keep any staging boards off the glazing and span them between the supporting joists.

Use foam between glazing and staging boards and likewise or polystyrene to protect the glass generally not just a tarp

Avoid putting a ladder point load on the glass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back