1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Safe zone?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by vera121, 22 Nov 2012.

1. vera121

vera121

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hall wall light wired from under the stairs.

[​IMG]

The house is being rewired.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Chri5

Chri5

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Quite a nice even chase :LOL:

4. Scoby_Beasley

Scoby_Beasley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'll agree. Whoever chased that had a very large French curve.

5. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. ccam108

ccam108

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's disgraceful!

I mean really, gloss paint on the wall? Have fun emulsioning over that.

7. rjm2k

rjm2k

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm guessing it's not 50mm deep, is it protected in metal conduit or shielded in any acceptable way?

8. Sponsored Links
  9. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it 'eckers like!

10. Chri5

Chri5

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Be fair, pre 2005 such things were a regular "do it anyway" event. Id wager 75% of diyers doing simple electrical work still havent a clue regarding zones and safe routes.

11. Click4

Click4

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    lol, house im working in at the moment, was wired originally by an electrician when the house was built.

downstairs, every socket and light switch has a plastic round conduit and runs vertical within the safe zones.

But upstairs... every single light switch instead of running the cable out the top of the backbox vertically into the loft.. they have run it sideways to one side then up.. so last few days been busy having to re-route all the switch cables, also swapping out the metal backboxes to proper plasterboard ones, it did have metal ones with bits which push on either side to hold it against the plasterboard when faceplate tightened up.. but because none had grommits anyway just swapped them for the plastic ones.

12. Click4

Click4

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    lol, house im working in at the moment, was wired originally by an electrician when the house was built.

downstairs, every socket and light switch has a plastic round conduit and runs vertical within the safe zones.

But upstairs... every single light switch instead of running the cable out the top of the backbox vertically into the loft.. they have run it sideways to one side then up.. so last few days been busy having to re-route all the switch cables, also swapping out the metal backboxes to proper plasterboard ones, it did have metal ones with bits which push on either side to hold it against the plasterboard when faceplate tightened up.. but because none had grommits anyway just swapped them for the plastic ones.

13. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When I acquired my house, it was full of diagonal (albeit mainly straight!) cable runs in walls - seemingly the preferred method of whoever installed it! He sometimes even went for a short distance vertically or horizontally from an accessory before shooting off diagonally!

I wonder when such a practice ceased to be compliant with the prevailing regs - i.e. when was the concept of 'safe zones' introduced? Anyone know?

Kind Regards, John

14. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links