Safely moving wires in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have a small ground floor bathroom in a single story extension at the back of our 1930s semi. I'm looking at removing an airing cupboard next to our bath, but theres a couple of mains wires inside it and I'm wondering what the safest thing to do with them is.

Below is an attempt at some ASCII art to show the situation, AC is the airing cupboard I want to remove and the x in the right corner is where my two electic wires run, and the J's represent a floor joist that's stopping me moving the wires into the corner without disconnecting them."t" marks the tap end of the bath.

----------- -------------------
------- J -! ----- BATH -- t |
--- AC J -!_____________|
------- J x!
-----------

So I'm wondering, is it safe to remove the cupboard and have the wires in some conduit in the wall next to the corner of the bath - I'm guessing this is a big no no?

In that case would moving the wires into the far corner, disconnecting them to get them around the joist be any safer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That's a different drawing! You can run cables near the bath it doesn't matter so long as there are no accessories there which shouldn't be in that particular zone. But if it's running a cable near the bath which goes somewhere else,that's fine. If buried in the wall make sure it's in a safe zone, or mark it by sinking a box in with a blank plate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

What exactly are they supplying?

I'm not too sure of that yet - the reason being they go from the floor, up into the roof space, then through a wall into another roof space (it's kind of an existing extension, that's then been extended leaving the gable end dividing the roof spaces).

They're quite thick, flat cables - say 20mm on the flat side and I suspect they're for lighting, but I've not managed to investigate further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back