Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m currently trying to get a completion certificate for my property and have hit a sticking point with Edinburgh Council Building Standards. I’ve put in an attic conversion and this has resulted in a window situated at the bottom of a staircase.

My original warrant plans stated that the window/door should to be upgraded to comply BS 6262: Part 4: 2005.

I’ve installed toughened glazing with declaration of performance stating it complies to BS EN 12150-2. I was told by my glazing company this is the strongest toughened glass they make and would pass the inspection. The council are now saying that they shouldn’t have put through a plan that allowed the window/door to comply with BS6262: Part4:2005 and that it should have stated that the window/door should be capable of resisting loads calculated in accordance with BS EN 1991-1-1 and the associated PD 6688-1-1.

The council gave me two options, to install a separate barrier or find glazing that was to standard. The glazing seemed to be the more straight forward option. However, I cannot find a company that will make glazing for me that is any higher standard than the original. Everyone I have spoken to has said that the glazing I have is the right spec.

I've emailed some engineers but I thought I'd post on here incase anyone has any expertise in this area. I know it's a long shot.

Appreciate any advice

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally, I would install a barrier, get it signed off and remove it again.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I would install a barrier, get it signed off and remove it again.
Not be the first time someone's done that. I always put a big note on the file stating that it was in place as requested at the time of inspection but suspect it may be removed later, although now I would take a photo as well.

Not be the first time someone's done that. I always put a big note on the file stating that it was in place as requested at the time of inspection but suspect it may be removed later, although now I would take a photo as well.
Do you take photos of all the doors and walls too, in case they get removed?

Do you take photos of all the doors and walls too, in case they get removed?
No just the ones where it is obvious what they are intending to do as soon as you walk out the property after confirming them all appears OK!
but suspect it may be removed later
Thought this comment would have made that obvious!!!

No just the ones where it is obvious what they are intending to do as soon as you walk out the property after confirming them all appears OK!

Thought this comment would have made that obvious!!!
Then what do you do, go back after a month, six months, one year to check?

Then what do you do, go back after a month, six months, one year to check?
No, for all there are powers in the Building Act for continuing control the Secretary has never introduced regulations to cover this, in any case removing the guarding is not a material alteration and any subsequent alterations are not legally defined as building work.

Then why bother taking photos in the first place?

As soon as that completion cert is signed, you (building control) are not bothered, and the homeowner can do what they like.

As soon as that completion cert is signed, you (building control) are not bothered, and the homeowner can do what they like.
I've then got proof it was fitted at the time of my inspection if/when something goes wrong, particularly when properties change hand and memories become clouded and the s**t hits the fan and everyone is trying to blame/sue someone. It happens, for example a protected staircase with the wall subsequently removed on the ground floor, I knew it was going to happen as every door in the house had hardwood etched/coloured glass doors whilst the wall in question leading into the living room cost about 20 quid, fortunately I'd put a note on file of my suspicions so I could absolve myself of any responsibility when the solicitors came looking for blame, of course a photo is even better I only do it when I know its going to happen, thought that was obvious, apparently not though!!!
Incidentally, in this instance, the removal of this wall would require B Regs as it is a material alteration, but as it was on a private road I wouldn't be passing by to witness it and instigate enforcement.

Edit - I just remembered one of those house design programmes featured a property one of my colleagues was dealing with the B regs, it appeared on TV minus the balustrading to the stairs after he'd completed it, needless to say he recorded this on the file with reference to the TV show, saves any arguments when someone falls and breaks something.

Last edited:
It was all obvious from post 5 onwards but Woody likes to embarrass himself at least once a day.

Back to the OP's original question, very briefly the first two standards referred to are regarding safety relating to impact ie toughened/laminated glass.
BS EN 1991-1-1 and the associated PD 6688-1-1 are regarding the loading the glazing needs to withstand as a balustrade, I assume you have full height glazing above ground level.

I've then got proof it was fitted at the time of my inspection
Isn't that exactly what the completion certificate does? :rolleyes:

So to sum up .... you don't take pictures of anything else, all of which could be changed as soon as you've walked down the path and signed the job off. You don't do any reinspections of things you suspect might be changed, and you agree with some bumkin from Devon.

Seems like all the above is a complete waste of time. Especially the last bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back